Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time wrenching...oil filter from hell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012 | 05:44 PM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser
Default First time wrenching...oil filter from hell!!!

So Doug and I did the 5k service on my bike today and we had a hell of a lot of fun...until it came time to take the oil filter off.....THIS WAS THE OIL FILTER FROM HELL!!!

We tried a strap filter remover, a cap remover, an every day remover...and even my belt!!! This damn thing was on there like Arnold Schwarzenegger put it on. HOLY CRAP. We finally had to get mean as hell to get it off.

Other than that some how I ended up stripping out the threads on the top derby cover bolt, but it still has a seat in there. I can get that fixed easily. No biggy.

The oil filter LOST in the end.....

Old 10-07-2012 | 05:47 PM
Brion B
Road Captain

Purchase a set of oil filter pliers,they make removing oil filters easy.

Last edited by Brion B; 10-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2012 | 05:49 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

No, fvck that. Stab it with a screwdriver and turn it. Oldest trick in the book and it works. Don't buy anything.

Old 10-07-2012 | 05:53 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Glad you got it off...I bet it's another case where the previous owner/service tech didn't oil the rubber gasket which pretty much "welds" the filter to your crankcase.

Old 10-07-2012 | 05:55 PM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Glad you got it off...I bet it's another case where the previous owner/service tech didn't oil the rubber gasket which pretty much "welds" the filter to your crankcase.
I thought that was common knowledge...I know I did!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2012 | 06:04 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Lolololol! I didnt even finish reading the thread but damn! What the hell did you do to that thing! It looks like you beat it with a hammer! Lol, this thread actually made me laugh, deff made my day. you should of drilled the oil filter out with a 2inch diameter drill bit lol

Old 10-07-2012 | 06:08 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

You are lucky if some oil filter cruelty advocate won't notice this.

Old 10-07-2012 | 06:09 PM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
Lolololol! I didnt even finish reading the thread but damn! What the hell did you do to that thing! It looks like you beat it with a hammer! Lol, this thread actually made me laugh, deff made my day. you should of drilled the oil filter out with a 2inch diameter drill bit lol

Ok so here is how we got it off...

First I hammered a screwdriver into it and tried to turn it....It just ripped the outer portion of the filter. Then I tried in a spot next to it....same damn thing. Then I took a a pair of large channel lock pliers and tried to grasp it from the dented portion to get a grip. Did that and it turned an 1/8th of a turn. So I keep denting it and grasping it...turning it little by little...till finally...I think 30 - 45 mins later it came lose. It was literally the oil filter from HELL!!!

Last edited by J.R. White; 10-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2012 | 06:11 PM
Rick1981
Advanced

Don't take this the wrong way but it may be cheaper in the end if you have someone weld your tool box shut now.

Old 10-07-2012 | 06:16 PM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rick1981
Don't take this the wrong way but it may be cheaper in the end if you have someone weld your tool box shut now.
WTH do you mean by that...I have been wrenching on cars for years. First time on a bike. It was no different. Who ever put the derby cover on before me cross threaded it and when I put it back on it was screwed...but I can fix it. I CAN FIX IT MYSELF. I have the knowledge and tools to do it.

Secondly...The oil filter was STUCK on there. Nothing that I could have done differently. Not quite sure where you get off saying what you did. I guarantee you it would have been the same for just about anyone. The damn thing was almost welded on there.

Quick Reply: First time wrenching...oil filter from hell!!!