Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM
shanvhere
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on tranny fluid change

I have a 2006 1200 custom and going to change the tranny fluid, and want to know if it's correct. I know there is a drain plug, I have the 1 quart that is GEAR & CHAINCASE LUBRICANT from HD. So I start the bike to warming temps, take the small inspection cover with the 2 screws, and drain the fluid.

I then change the o-ring and put the fluid back, and pour the fluid in that inspection hole, is this correct?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shanvhere
I have a 2006 1200 custom and going to change the tranny fluid, and want to know if it's correct. I know there is a drain plug, I have the 1 quart that is GEAR & CHAINCASE LUBRICANT from HD. So I start the bike to warming temps, take the small inspection cover with the 2 screws, and drain the fluid.

I then change the o-ring and put the fluid back, and pour the fluid in that inspection hole, is this correct?
No. warm it up. Drain it. Unscrew the primary cover. Put drain plug back in. put one quart of fluid into the primary (get a funnel and just pour into the side). Screw primary cover back on. Done

Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shanvhere

This is what I do on mine, but I don't change the o-ring every time. When you drain it, once it stops flowing, you can stand the bike upright and get another ounce or so out. Don't forget to wipe off the drain plug, it is magnetic and will have fine powder-like metal shavings stuck to it.

Knights way works too, but removing the primary cover is crazy, pretty sure he means the derby cover. If you are not doing a clutch adjustment, the inspection cover is easier, if you do take that derby cover off, I'd change the screws to stainless socket heads with lock washers and ditch the torx.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
No. warm it up. Drain it. Unscrew the primary cover. Put drain plug back in. put one quart of fluid into the primary (get a funnel and just pour into the side). Screw primary cover back on. Done
Just to get your terminology straight, the Primary Cover has like a dozen bolts holding it on. Removing the primary cover exposes the primary chain and sprockets.
The Derby Cover is round and has 4-6 bolts (depending on the year) holding it on. Removing the Derby Cover exposes the clutch adjustment.
The Primary Chain Inspection Cover has 2 screws holding it on. It exposes a section of the primary chain for checking the chain adjustment.

For a simple primary oil fluid change, the only cover that needs to be removed is the Primary Chain Inspection Cover (2 screws).

Last edited by cHarley; 10-06-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember, do not try to pour that 1/4 oil into the transmission, with the bike in the side stand, or you will experience a tiny oil tsunami. Ask me how I know

Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by HotIceHD
Just remember, do not try to pour that 1/4 oil into the transmission, with the bike in the side stand, or you will experience a tiny oil tsunami. Ask me how I know
That's why it's easier and better just to refill the oil through the primary chain inspection cover instead of the derby cover, nothing can spill, even on the side stand.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I know.
I had that open since I had to adjust the clutch, and I did not think of the consequences.
I had the chain inspection cover open too, but the other hole was bigger

Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cHarley
Just to get your terminology straight, the Primary Cover has like a dozen bolts holding it on. Removing the primary cover exposes the primary chain and sprockets.
The Derby Cover is round and has 4-6 bolts (depending on the year) holding it on. Removing the Derby Cover exposes the clutch adjustment.
The Primary Chain Inspection Cover has 2 screws holding it on. It exposes a section of the primary chain for checking the chain adjustment.

For a simple primary oil fluid change, the only cover that needs to be removed is the Primary Chain Inspection Cover (2 screws).
thank you. My manual says to take off clutch inspection cover/derby cover but now I know that wont be needed

Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
J.R. White
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
thank you. My manual says to take off clutch inspection cover/derby cover but now I know that wont be needed

However, if you are doing a tranny fluid change you should also adjust your clutch while you are there and your chain as well. This is all in the HD service manual. Just my 2Cents!!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
medic2931
Tourer

Adjust your clutch and primary chain. I place a block under the kick stand and follow the factory service manual when adding the fluid to the trans.

Quick Reply: Question on tranny fluid change