Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883L or 1200L What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 883L or 1200L What to do?

I am looking to purchase a new bike for my wife. She has two days experience at riding. She took and passed the MSF course and got her license.

I bought a 2007 UC in September and we are now trying to decide what to buy her. We know it must be a low model but am trying to decide the advantages to each one. I am a big boy (340lb) and may want to ride it some also. We may go on trips and she would probably ride along on her own bike.

I want ther to have something that will hold it value somewhat and that she can manage. I know we have a lot of practice to do before we both take off on the Interstate.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 883L or 1200L What to do?

Some say more power is not always the answer but as for running highway speeds often and for better resale later the 1200 would be the better choice. As for the Low model its nothing more than a thinner seat and slightly shorter front springs. Pick the bike you like then lower it to suit with better progressive supension (far better riding than stock) front and rear and a nice comfy seat that fits just right.
The 883 will probably be fine but for lots of higway riding the lower power and lower gearing of the 883 might not be as enjoyable as the 1200.
Plenty of short folks change their suspension to 11" 412 Progressive shocks out back (I did but not for the sake of flat footing) and then use Progressive lowering spring in the front to drop it 1-2" which will give the bike better suspension and much lower hgt. You can pick from a number of seats on the market or for about the same price you could get one made that is thin, narrow and more comfortable to suit her from www.harleyseats.com

Good luck.

ronn39
Road Master

You might not appreciate these comments, Nellebelle...

Why foks consider a Sportster a "beginner's bike" escapes me. The MSF course, as good as it is, doesn't teach anyone to ride. The XL1200 is a hot rod. Put a rank beginner on a hot rod? I've been riding for a very, very long time (not to give away my age), and going to a 1200 with front controls was a new experience for me. It is not a bike I want to drop and thankfully I got all my falling down out of the way long before I bought this one.

If I could get my wife into riding (wishful thinking), I'd get her something light, like a 250cc or less than 500cc to get proficient with. When she's ready, trade it in on one of these Harley hot rods.

At 340 lbs, you will probably consider a Sportster a little on the skinny side. Besides, if you really want to ride her bike, you'd better be prepared to let her ride yours.

Sorry if this seems a little blunt, but it's my honest opinion.

onebdzee
Advanced

What does she want?

My suggestion is to take her down to the dealer and see which one she feels more comfortable on....the 1200 has more power(obviously) than the 883....let her take it for a test ride

I was told when I waslooking to buy my bike that the 883 was a great bike, but I would want more power within a couple of months....So, I went with the 1200

Old 01-26-2007, 06:46 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's within your means..go for the 1200. IMHO

Old 01-26-2007, 07:03 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly - based on experience - either get her a used metric to get some experience or bite the bullet and get a Softail Deluxe or a Dyna Low Rider. After being on the UC, she will miss the smoothness and comfort. My wife was afraid to start out big, and too set on a Harley to start metric. Tried to get her on a used Honda ($1500, 500cc Shadow) but she was set on the Harley. Bought a new 2004 XL1200C, spent $3k on stuff for it, rode it almost a year and then tried a FXDLI. That year cost about $5-6K! Coulda bought the Honda, let her ride for a couple months, and thrown it in the dumpster behind the dealership when we bought the Low Rider - and been at least $4K ahead.

Sportsters are great - if that's what she really wants. It's a terrific bike. Unfortunately, many new riders buy it for all the wrong reasons. It's smaller engine, lighter weight and lower cost are attractive to the tentative new rider BUT the quickness, high center of gravity, and vibration levels are not well suited to many riders. The larger bikes are actually easier to ride, less tiring, and hold their values.

Bottom line - don't get in a hurry. Sit on every model, stand them up, take as many demos as possible. Consider a used bike (let someone ELSE take that bath) if she need to build experience and confidence.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 PM
onebdzee
Advanced

I have to agree with Teach....for a beginner the 1200 has a little more a$$ than what a beginner should be riding

Friend of mine(who was a beginner)rode a Honda Rebel for about 4 months and then upgraded to a Yamaha 650(?)....She said that when she gets more used to the weigh and the power of that she will upgrade to the 1200

Old 01-26-2007, 07:45 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read a number of posts where the person wishes they had bought a 1200 instead of an 883. I HAVE NOT read a post where someone with a 1200 wished they had bought an 883. Think about it.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:52 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the same exact thing with my wife back in October. We looked at both Dynas and Sporty's at first. It had been a long time since she had rode a bike, so we thought the Sporty would be better from that perspective, since it is lighter and has a smaller feel to it. But I also wanted to get something she would enjoy riding for many years, which is why we also looked at Dynas. Well, after browsing around here for a bit, I came across a number of posts from people that have been riding their Sportsters for years, and love them. So that changed our thinking on the whole thing and she decided on the Sportster.
She knew she wanted a Low, so were debating between the 883 and 1200. Since we decided to assume that she would be keeping this bike for years to come, we liked the 1200. It has the bigger engine, which we figured would help keep her interested. It has more chrome than the 883 Low out of the gate, which means less dressing up was necessary. It also had the bigger tank, which means fewer trips to the gas station when we’re out and about. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. If I think of other reasons, I’ll post them later.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the little honda vlx is a 600cc bike and weighs 484 lbs we have one in the garage and it is harder to ride than a sportster the front tire feels like a chunck of lead when you turn at slow speed , a 750 shadow weighs 507 lbs I know I traded one in on my sporty . the sporty weighs 557lbs
for what its worth the wife rides a buell blast and the vlx . the blast will be gone sunday its up for auction . the vlx will be gone to my dad the wife says the low sporty and v-rod feel the best to her and she is gonna go for one of those this spring . now having said all of that I am glad my wife started on the blast , she never crashed but if she had I was only going to be out 2000 dollars as opposed to 7or 8 grand. I would saw find a used 650 yamaha or 750 shadow and get all the drops , bumps and grinds out of the way , then when she is confident take her out to find the bike of her dreams. I personally think your wife could handle either the 883 or 1200 low , I am merely looking at it from the money side.

Quick Reply: 883L or 1200L What to do?