Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quietest exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
you must have never own a Honda then
Nope. But I've heard the Honda Shadow and didn't hear too much from it. It was pretty quiet. Yeah, I've heard metric cruisers with aftermarket exhaust that are loud too.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-75-x-4-Lon...item3a79da7e5a I don't know why you would want to do it for several reasons but here's some baffles I put in the fishtails I have on now. I wanted my Harley to sound like one but I didn't want it to sound obnoxious either. (I have neighbors who work shift.) After installation I fired her up and was sorely disappointed. It made that sewing machine noise more pronounced. I hated it and it was much quieter than stock. I'm not sure how you would incorporate this into a stock slip on but I'm just relaying a little info on what I've done. I've fixed it since and got the sound I want. I'm kind of mystified over why you would want your bike that quiet. With people driving around with their heads firmly implanted in their *** I would rather have them hear me or become aware I'm around than be "stealthy".

Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-75-x-4-Lon...item3a79da7e5a I don't know why you would want to do it for several reasons but here's some baffles I put in the fishtails I have on now. I wanted my Harley to sound like one but I didn't want it to sound obnoxious either. (I have neighbors who work shift.) After installation I fired her up and was sorely disappointed. It made that sewing machine noise more pronounced. I hated it and it was much quieter than stock. I'm not sure how you would incorporate this into a stock slip on but I'm just relaying a little info on what I've done. I've fixed it since and got the sound I want. I'm kind of mystified over why you would want your bike that quiet. With people driving around with their heads firmly implanted in their *** I would rather have them hear me or become aware I'm around than be "stealthy".
My bike is far from quiet, I was just wondering in general. I usually post random threads just to keep myself and others interested. Thank you for the information though, my pipes are definitely in the loud side and save me from dangerous encounters dozens of times. Especially at night and when someone is backing out of their driveway

Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baka1969
Nope. But I've heard the Honda Shadow and didn't hear too much from it. It was pretty quiet. Yeah, I've heard metric cruisers with aftermarket exhaust that are loud too.
Hondas are very quiet with stock exhausts compared to other companys stock exhausts (except dirtbike Honda stock exhausts) but once you add aftermarket pipes, Hondas are definitely on the louder side compared to other companies aftermarket exhausts. I got no proof but thats what I have collaborated with my experience. Didn't mean to sound like an *** if I did, my bad homie

Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

stock is probably the quietest exhaust. in the 20's and 30's harleys gimmick was they had the quietest muffler

Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 AM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Compared to most other scooters a stock Harley is pretty loud. Just for grins, test ride a Goldwing, it seems like you are riding a bike powered by a huge electric motor.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
Hondas are very quiet with stock exhausts compared to other companys stock exhausts (except dirtbike Honda stock exhausts) but once you add aftermarket pipes, Hondas are definitely on the louder side compared to other companies aftermarket exhausts. I got no proof but thats what I have collaborated with my experience. Didn't mean to sound like an *** if I did, my bad homie
It's all good. I'm only kidding around with you.

Did I forget to mention the electric bikes out there? I would bet a 6 pack of Yards beer that those are really damn quiet.
Of course with an 80 mile range and probably 5+ hours to recharge it, I wouldn't want to tour on it. lol

Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

quitest i would think would be a touring style dual exhaust with big mufflers and the most restricting AC you can find. Then on my custom touring style dual exhaust i would make the pipe diameter small, like 1 inch, and like someone else said use two mufflers. So that would be a total of 4 mufflers. 2 per cylinder. gotta be quiet then.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
More quiet than stock? You have to practically be in a silent chamber to hear the stock exhaust. If you don't want to hear any exhaust note I suggest driving a car.
Untrue my wife can hear me turning the corner 1/2 mile away at the house on my ride home with bone stock exhaust. Bike is 6 years old though.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Old trick was to weld a flat washer to a bolt and place it right at the end of your exhaust. You could twist it to adjust how open or shut you wanted it. Never heard anyone trying it with stock pipes - I suppose you could get enough back pressure to blow gas out of your gas tank.

Quick Reply: quietest exhaust