Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain and Hail on recent ride...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:46 PM
akhdrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Rain and Hail on recent ride...

A few weeks back we went out on a ride. We do not have to wear helmets here in Alaska so I rarely were one..

Any ways, we were out riding and it began to rain.. I have a windshield and wear glasses so that was not all that bad but at one point the drops hitting my forehead began to hurt... A LOT... it was then I realized, HEY, this is HAIL!!!

I had to pull over.. wait then slowly limp to a nearby gas station to hide under the awning...

Not fun to say the least....

Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM
SavageNinja
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been caught my fair share in the rain, but never in hail. Glad to hear that you made it to cover safe!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Iv been caught in hail going 50mph, it hurts

Old 09-30-2012, 04:02 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by akhdrider
A few weeks back we went out on a ride. We do not have to wear helmets here in Alaska so I rarely were one..

Any ways, we were out riding and it began to rain.. I have a windshield and wear glasses so that was not all that bad but at one point the drops hitting my forehead began to hurt... A LOT... it was then I realized, HEY, this is HAIL!!!

I had to pull over.. wait then slowly limp to a nearby gas station to hide under the awning...

Not fun to say the least....
Rain/Hail in Alaska !!! who would have guessed that ? geez im going for a lie down the silly season has started...

Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Meatie
Intermediate

Hit some today in Jersey.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
Rain/Hail in Alaska !!! who would have guessed that ? geez im going for a lie down the silly season has started...
right back at you

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Rode through alot of rain, some light some torrential. I've caught hail twice. It does hurt and ut makes for a more hazardous roadway. I was lucky enough to find an overpass to sit it out pnce. The other time, I was surrounded by open road, all I could do was ride til it cleared up.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
E Smitty
Advanced

Was riding down I-5 one day with a state cop on a bike near me. Sometimes he was ahead and sometimes I was depending on traffic. It was a warm day and I had managed to dodge most of the thunder storms. I say most because we came in to one very quickly. It was the kind of hail storm that dropped so much hail that it was like snow on the road with ruts in the tire tracks. At this point the cop was directly behind me. As cars were pulling over and stopping, we could not. For about a mile we did about 20-30 mph staying in one rut knowing we couldn’t pull over as it would have meant crossing about 3” of hail build up and we could not stop in the middle of the freeway. I had my full, thick, Langlitz leathers on and it felt like I was being tenderized by the hail through the leathers.

After we made it through, we had the freeway to ourselves because the cars had stopped, when we could not. We just looked at each other, shook our heads and went on our way.

Crazy experience.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,440 Posts

I ride in snow, rain, wind, cold, heat, but do my best to avoid lighting and hail.

That **** hurts.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My season stops in Portland when the freezing rain hits sometime between December and January. I have yet to be caught in a hail storm on a bike, and I seriously hope it doesn't happen anytime soon.

I did get caught once in a serious downpour going from Seattle International Raceway (when it was still called that) to Bellingham with dry slicks on a tuned GSXR. 10-20 mph through standing water for at least 30 miles of the way, mostly closer to the 10mph side. Every time I tried to ride faster it was like riding on ice. Longest, 90 mile ride of my life.

Quick Reply: Rain and Hail on recent ride...