Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping on deceleration ( low to idle)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012 | 06:45 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Yes, that is true. However, my previous definitions still stand, burn rate is independent of octane. The reason pump gas with differing octanes burns at different rates is because it actually is composed of different additives/fuels. This means the burn rate is dependent upon the mixture of those fuels/additives, not the actual octane rating.

A pure fuel will burn at a specific rate. When you add additives, such as those used to alter the octane rating, it can decrease/increase the burn rate of that fuel mixture due to the differing chemical properties. This does not automatically mean a higher octane rating gives a slower burn rate. It merely shows a correlation between the two, and as we all know correlation is not causation.

Edit: http://www.racegas.com/article/10 Refer to this article by Sunoco for what I'm referring to.
correlation does not mean cause, thats what my ap teacher tought 3days ago lol, you've had to get that from a psychology class

Old 09-24-2012 | 06:46 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Judge1989
I seem to have started a horrible trend here. My mistake. I was under the impression you meant backfiring in the exhaust, not decel popping. Disregard what I said as it has nothing to do with your problem. As for getting rid of decel pop, that can usually be fixed by adding a bit of backpressure. Maybe add some lollipops if you don't have baffles or check the condition of them if you do. As I said, sorry about the misunderstanding.
Respect no problem man

Old 09-24-2012 | 08:56 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

I am one of those not overly concerned with decal pop ... FYI-my sporty pops also. If the plugs look good and the carb is not coughing or farting at low / high revs, you are likely good with jetting and mixture. Just ride and enjoy the damn thing. Not scientific answers, but if it annoys you too much then consider reinstalling the stock exhaust system.

Old 09-25-2012 | 12:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Not sure if OP's original question was answered or not. Stopped reading the responses after shwingding's response.

The only way you will get decel pop from being to lean on your carbed sporty is if the exhaust gases are superheated from being way too lean...and if that was the case, then you would also have carb farting.

So to answer your question...you are not too lean.

The decel pop you are getting is because you have the ideal AFR in the PIPES for combustion. If you don't want decel pop, then change the AFR in the pipes.

This can be done by putting more fuel into the engine (which will compromise performance) or by changing the air flow in the pipes. This can be done a variety of ways...some will enhance performance, others (like more restrictive baffles) may hinder performance.

Many have used the Thunder Torque W118's to reduce/eliminate decel pop AND get more low and mid range torque.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-25-2012 | 06:00 AM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Not sure if OP's original question was answered or not. Stopped reading the responses after shwingding's response.

The only way you will get decel pop from being to lean on your carbed sporty is if the exhaust gases are superheated from being way too lean...and if that was the case, then you would also have carb farting.

So to answer your question...you are not too lean.

The decel pop you are getting is because you have the ideal AFR in the PIPES for combustion. If you don't want decel pop, then change the AFR in the pipes.

This can be done by putting more fuel into the engine (which will compromise performance) or by changing the air flow in the pipes. This can be done a variety of ways...some will enhance performance, others (like more restrictive baffles) may hinder performance.

Many have used the Thunder Torque W118's to reduce/eliminate decel pop AND get more low and mid range torque.
Thank you for the information