Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping on deceleration ( low to idle)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012 | 02:56 PM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
If no exhaust leak then you need to add fuel at 0 throttle position.
Good luck on a carb'd bike, which is what we have here....

Old 09-24-2012 | 03:00 PM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
Thanks man, I appreciate it, so the popping is okay and does not have a effect on my performance? Does it have a effect on anything besides the sound
It is generally accepted that decel popping has no affect on performance, nor is it detrimental to your motorcycle. It is annoying, however! While I've spent a good deal of time ridding my vrod of decel pop, here's another way I try to look at it.....watch a sports car race - even the most highly tuned engines have decel pop - **** some of them even spit fire out the exhaust - now that's a rich mix! Maybe you're driving a race car...

Old 09-24-2012 | 03:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Octane vs burn rate.

Old 09-24-2012 | 03:56 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer

its a normal thing if you have anything other than stock pipes. I think it happens to everyone that switches pipes.

Old 09-24-2012 | 04:56 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cHarley
I did up above (here)

You didn't answer my question, and didn't respond to what I posted.
I guess reading comprehension is a problem?
I dont know what jet sizes I have currently, I bought a 45# to install but after playing around with the mixture screw, I didnt think I needed since the bike ran fine after playing around with the screw. The previous owner does not know either. Today I played around with the screw some more and to me, it seems to be affecting 0 to 1/8 throttle, exactly where the popping occurs. Unfortunately the popping still occured after going passed 3 turns. I am guessing its not a fuel problem. #1 because of what i just said, and #2 because when i start the bike and i have the choke/enrichener out and its cold outside, it still pops

Old 09-24-2012 | 04:58 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by schwingding
It is generally accepted that decel popping has no affect on performance, nor is it detrimental to your motorcycle. It is annoying, however! While I've spent a good deal of time ridding my vrod of decel pop, here's another way I try to look at it.....watch a sports car race - even the most highly tuned engines have decel pop - **** some of them even spit fire out the exhaust - now that's a rich mix! Maybe you're driving a race car...
Thank you, your one out of many which is not a hater on this post lol

Old 09-24-2012 | 05:01 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Octane vs burn rate.

Thank you. I like you, your a funny guy lol

Old 09-24-2012 | 05:37 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

It is a property of chemical composition and how it reacts during combustion..... yeaaa....next time you try to act smart, make sense atleast... I dont even think you know what rate means, sorry

Old 09-24-2012 | 05:59 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Octane vs burn rate.

Yes, that is true. However, my previous definitions still stand, burn rate is independent of octane. The reason pump gas with differing octanes burns at different rates is because it actually is composed of different additives/fuels. This means the burn rate is dependent upon the mixture of those fuels/additives, not the actual octane rating.

A pure fuel will burn at a specific rate. When you add additives, such as those used to alter the octane rating, it can decrease/increase the burn rate of that fuel mixture due to the differing chemical properties. This does not automatically mean a higher octane rating gives a slower burn rate. It merely shows a correlation between the two, and as we all know correlation is not causation.

Edit: http://www.racegas.com/article/10 Refer to this article by Sunoco for what I'm referring to.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 09-24-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2012 | 06:21 PM
Judge1989
Advanced

I seem to have started a horrible trend here. My mistake. I was under the impression you meant backfiring in the exhaust, not decel popping. Disregard what I said as it has nothing to do with your problem. As for getting rid of decel pop, that can usually be fixed by adding a bit of backpressure. Maybe add some lollipops if you don't have baffles or check the condition of them if you do. As I said, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: popping on deceleration ( low to idle)