Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping on deceleration ( low to idle)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012 | 10:21 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

The mixture screw really only affects the idle more then anything. Until you know what jets are in it you are wasting your time

Old 09-24-2012 | 11:05 AM
Judge1989
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knights2TheEnd
I think the popping is caused by fumes being burned in the pipes rather than in the cylinder. A lean mixture burns more slowly therefore fumes can make it into the pipe before getting burned. richer mixtures burn faster and don't let fumes go into the pipe. playing around with the mixture screw can make it richer and correct the problem
What??? I'm not sure where you get your info from, but let me help you out here.

Step 1. It is impossible to backfire in the exhaust system without something to burn being in the exhaust system.

Step 2. An overly RICH mixture burns cooler than a LEAN mixture.

Step 3. An overly RICH mixture can allow unburnt or partially burnt fuel to enter the exhaust system, because there is just to much fuel to burn in a short time, resulting in a fuel smell or black smoke. This is why when you smell partially burnt fuel, you can immediately say that an engine is running rich.

Step 4. Popping through the intake is caused by a LEAN mixture. This is GENERALLY because temperatures are high enough in the engine to allow combustion outside of the combustion chamber or while an intake valve is hanging open.

Step 5. None of this matters if you have a leak in the system anywhere.

Step 6. Go here
http://www.harley-performance.com/index.html

Last edited by Judge1989; 09-24-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Add. Url
Old 09-24-2012 | 11:11 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the popping is caused by fumes being burned in the pipes rather than in the cylinder. A lean mixture burns more slowly therefore fumes can make it into the pipe before getting burned. richer mixtures burn faster and don't let fumes go into the pipe. playing around with the mixture screw can make it richer and correct the problem
Yes, popping is fumes being burned in the pipe. It is caused by unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, however it can be a result of both lean and rich tuning. Without a dyno you really have no clue what your mixture is.

Also, the burn rate is the same no matter if it is lean or rich.

Old 09-24-2012 | 11:25 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

My guess is you are running lean on decel....I had the same issue on my EVO when I had an air leak at the carb

Old 09-24-2012 | 12:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Yes, popping is fumes being burned in the pipe. It is caused by unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, however it can be a result of both lean and rich tuning. Without a dyno you really have no clue what your mixture is.

+1 - Burn Rate is effect of Octane not mixture.

Old 09-24-2012 | 12:17 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser

You say you tuned it based on response, sound, temp etc... Have you checked your plugs?

Old 09-24-2012 | 12:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member

If this is your knowledge of fuel mixtures and tuning, you need to find someone that knows and understands what he is doing.

Old 09-24-2012 | 12:50 PM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. A good way to look at this is not that you're too rich or lean, but that the conditions are just right for unburned fuel to ignite when it hits the hot exhaust pipes. How does unburned fuel wind up there anyway? There is some overlap between the valves closing completely and some exhaust pipes actually can cause scavenging of the combustion chamber especially under high vacuum conditions like high rev / and no or little throttle decel. Anything that changes these "just right" conditions to less than perfect will cure the popping. That can be leaning it our or richening it up. We generally don't want to lean our bikes out as they're typically set up by HD to run too lean anyway, so most of us fix the problem by adding fuel to the mix.

On an injected bike this is pretty easy, there are custom maps for decel enleanment/enrichment, but on a carb'd bike you don't have separate jets for decel only. So you wind up making it richer....

Old 09-24-2012 | 02:00 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rooti
The mixture screw really only affects the idle more then anything. Until you know what jets are in it you are wasting your time
When i installed my pipes, all i did was adjust the screw and it made a big difference but thank you for your reply

Old 09-24-2012 | 02:07 PM
Knights2TheEnd
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Judge1989
What??? I'm not sure where you get your info from, but let me help you out here.

Step 1. It is impossible to backfire in the exhaust system without something to burn being in the exhaust system.

Step 2. An overly RICH mixture burns cooler than a LEAN mixture.

Step 3. An overly RICH mixture can allow unburnt or partially burnt fuel to enter the exhaust system, because there is just to much fuel to burn in a short time, resulting in a fuel smell or black smoke. This is why when you smell partially burnt fuel, you can immediately say that an engine is running rich.

Step 4. Popping through the intake is caused by a LEAN mixture. This is GENERALLY because temperatures are high enough in the engine to allow combustion outside of the combustion chamber or while an intake valve is hanging open.

Step 5. None of this matters if you have a leak in the system anywhere.

Step 6. Go here
http://www.harley-performance.com/index.html
#1 It doesn't backfire, and your misunderstanding. I said fumes are being burned in the pipes
#2 Agreed, has nothing to do with what I said
#3 Agreed, but lean mixtures burn slowly, giving the fumes enough time to enter the pipes
#4 were talking about a exhaust making popping sounds not intake
#5 thank you for the info
#6 Already read that, thank you though

Quick Reply: popping on deceleration ( low to idle)