Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"motorcycle exhaust laws enforced" signs around here

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Honestly, those signs would make me be a hell of a lot louder than I normally would.

I don't get told what to do.

Edit: Also, I know a few guys around here who have been ticketed for loud exhaust on cars. It's a guaranteed dismissal in court because the cops don't have dB readers to enforce the law and are only going based upon their judgement, which is not admissable as proof of a violation.

Thats my knee jerk reaction too, however the outcome wouldn't be pleasant, ya know?

Besides, they don't need a db meter, no EPA stamp? You're not legal. That's a fed mandate... Not state.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There is nothing "new" here about this topic, especially for NY. Any state, county, city, etc. can choose to crack down on loud pipes using a long standing (federal) EPA requirement that your pipes contain a EPA stamp. That stamp is required on all factory exhausts. There's no special equipment like a db meter required to enforce the law if your pipes don't have this stamp. It's been posted here before, that NYC has towed bikes parked on a public street, because the pipes didn't have the EPA stamp.

You can find more info in this old thread, or you'll find plenty of other threads on the subject if you search.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
I think some of the exhausts, particularly on Harleys are just shitty noise makers. They are not only irritating and obnoxious, they devalue the bike and play into the stereotype, but the reality is, some guys, like scuba just cop tude and think they are badass and are ENTITLED to ride around and **** with everyones tranquility. That is why you can get a ticket, they are too loud. And yeah, there are lots of shitty sounding Ricers too. I would love to be in court and listen to you "yeah but your honor he aint got no db reading" and have the judge roll his eyes and double your fine.
Every now and then, I read a thread about "How do I make my bike louder". Not sure why but that seems to be the way it is. Sounds to me like an advertisement for power, much like the stickers that some cars are loaded with as opposed to a small but discreet time slip or dyno slip that demonstrates power. Sure, one riced bike, two, three and pretty soon, I'm going to get together with my neighbors and start the regs to ban the noise makers. Can't really blame me since I am tired of hearing that noise at all odd times.

I know my exhaust is not OEM. It is a little louder than stock. I am VERY careful when I am in a residential area or a business area. All it takes is a few jerks to make the people complain and the cops have to enforce the rules.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Brusier1028
Tourer

In Florida, state law is you can not modify the exhaust from the Factory. So techincally any change would violat the law. Also we have noise poluttion laws. So I would find out what your state says about it and go from there. When I had a sport bike my pipe was 119 DBs at wide open. I just got my Street Glide and it came with a thunder header on it. I don't think it is that bad.
Just check your state laws and adjust from there.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by botz723
Thats my knee jerk reaction too, however the outcome wouldn't be pleasant, ya know?

Besides, they don't need a db meter, no EPA stamp? You're not legal. That's a fed mandate... Not state.
Had a friend who was a judge that took special delight in seeing how badass a guy who came in front of him could be. As far as I know, he has won most, if not all of the contests of "Who can be the baddest ***".

Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Wisconsin law.
EXHAUST. Remember those louder pipes you put on? They're illegal. Anything louder than the original equipment is illegal. Why? Trans 305.39(1) dictates that every motorcycle shall be equipped with a functioning exhaust, which shall be maintained in accord with Sec. Sec. 347.39 of the statutes. Sec. Sec. 347.39(2) states no muffler or exhaust may be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device, nor shall there be installed in any exhaust system anything to ignite exhaust gases to produce flames. Additionally, "No person shall modify the exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, . . ." Nothing louder than original equipment is legal! Local ordinances for exhaust noise are generally based on decibel readings. Manitowoc County, as well as the Cities of Manitowoc and Two Rivers have such ordinances. As an example, City of Manitowoc Ordinance 14.313 requires that a vehicle under 8,000 lbs. not emit more than 80 decibels at a distance of 15 feet or more from the vehicle.
The Wisconsin Administrative Code also mandates safety equipment on motorcycle exhaust systems. Trans 305.39(2) dictates: 1) exhaust systems shall be free of leaks from the engine exhaust ports through the piping and muffler to the end of the system, and 2) a protective shield or insulated section shall be provided for any portion of the exhaust system that extends above and to the rear of the foot pegs or rests.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle.
Motor? Whew.........Im safe, I dont have a motor on my bike......Ive got an engine.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Jesla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Motor? Whew.........Im safe, I dont have a motor on my bike......Ive got an engine.
True that.......

Mine has an engine that is started with a small motor....

Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it gets worse for californians on jan 1 2013...

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...le-exhaust-law

btw, that new law was signed by a fellow moto rider- the governator!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

At least it's a secondary offense, it states in the article the cops can't stop you specifically for a suspected sound violation under this new law.

Hmmmm.

John

Quick Reply: "motorcycle exhaust laws enforced" signs around here