Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead starter button

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead starter button

I've very recently having problems starting my '07 Sporty. Like in the last couple of weeks, but mainly this past week. it seemed as if there was a "dead spot" on the starter button, and once the "sweet spot" was hit, she cranked right up. Yesterday, was the same trouble; I hit the starter and nothing happened. I hit it again and nothing. I moved the starter around a bit and finally it cranked right up. After I rode it and parked back in my garage, I tried to crank it again. It's been dead since. I turn the key, it works. I push the run button, it works, but with the oil light on. I push the START button, and...nothing. not even think about cranking. Today, I tried putting the proper amount of oil in it, but it still won't crank. It's like there's
no connection when I push the starter. I also tried to jump-start it, to no avail. What's possibly the problem?

Teek

Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teek
I've very recently having problems starting my '07 Sporty. Like in the last couple of weeks, but mainly this past week. it seemed as if there was a "dead spot" on the starter button, and once the "sweet spot" was hit, she cranked right up. Yesterday, was the same trouble; I hit the starter and nothing happened. I hit it again and nothing. I moved the starter around a bit and finally it cranked right up. After I rode it and parked back in my garage, I tried to crank it again. It's been dead since. I turn the key, it works. I push the run button, it works, but with the oil light on. I push the START button, and...nothing. not even think about cranking. Today, I tried putting the proper amount of oil in it, but it still won't crank. It's like there's
no connection when I push the starter. I also tried to jump-start it, to no avail. What's possibly the problem?

Teek
I am having a similar problem, I am getting this long 3 to 5 seconds pause and then it cranks. Not sure what it is and also put a post up

Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

The starter button is just that, a button. It is susceptible to failure like any other electrical switch. Your best bet would be to use a multimeter and check the electrical continuity while you push the button. You get voltage and it still doesn't crank then the problem is downstream, but if you don't get voltage then you know it's bad.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

does it even click when you push the button??? if not I would do as scuba says..if it does the problem is probably with the starter or the starter connections....first thing I would do is check for voltage at the small wire on the starter while some one pushes the start button, if its there its a starter problem, also check your grounds and battery connections...they can be loose and still allow enough juice to flow that the lights will light...

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

check and see if it is getting voltage to the starter solenoid, the smaller 12 volt terminal that activates the solenoid not the battery cable side. the the small terminal has power to it it isnt the switches. you could also check the battery cable at the starter to see if your getting 12 volts to your main solenoid terminal also

Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The 07 Sporty is notorious for water intrusion in the fuse block area which also contains 2 relays, one of which is the starter relay.

As a test, pull the 2 relays and swap them.
Also clean the contacts on all the fuses and relays and coat with dielectric grease.

The relays are common automotive items, you can get replacements at your local auto parts store for typically less than $10.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
The 07 Sporty is notorious for water intrusion in the fuse block area which also contains 2 relays, one of which is the starter relay.

As a test, pull the 2 relays and swap them.
Also clean the contacts on all the fuses and relays and coat with dielectric grease.

The relays are common automotive items, you can get replacements at your local auto parts store for typically less than $10.
I thought Teek would have known this already. However, it's been quite a while since I've seen Teek post on here & then today I see like three or four posts from him.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the battery ground strap where it connects to the crankcase. Similar issue happened to me and it turned out to be some pretty massive corrosion at that ground point.