Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably going to piss a lot of members off

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Probably going to **** a lot of members off

I run into this problem everywhere, why are there not more custom sportys out there!? they are so easy to modify and I don't get it. I am not talking custom like your "typical" Harley bolt ons from the factory. To me that is equivalent to a rice rocket with all the Pep Boys **** on it. But even where I live its just a bunch of sportys and baggers with a bunch of bolt ons and they call their bike "custom" or "bobbers" To me 90% of every single sportster, nightster and 48 on here all look the same to me. Vance and Hines exhaust, drag bars and springer seat and thats about it. I have looked over this whole forum trying to find full on custom sportys and not had much luck. If you have one PLEASE do me a favor and post pics of your bike so I can actually see a custom bike on here. I def apologize if I **** anyone off I am just venting and wanting to know why people do not go beyond the bolt on applications on their bikes.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...re-thread.html

Seems like your version of custom is just taking off parts.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jbyun

thank you for that link, lots of bikes that I have been looking for other than fairly stock sportys. Ya I have taken a ton of **** off my bike but I have also fabricated and added several things on it as well and its not near done

Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM
bryanhayn
Cruiser

reasons why I choose (or will choose) to go with bolt-on stuff:

1. I can do it myself
2. It's cheap(er than paying someone to fabricate parts)
3. It's fast (Don't need to take my bike to a shop and leave it there. My bike is my only form of transportation.)

Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jbyun

do you have a link that is dedicated more to just Nightsters or more of the Dirt tracker styles?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Rockatansky
Advanced

Originally Posted by chaddallas
I run into this problem everywhere,
Really? A problem? Damn, dude, your life must be pretty good. Or oddly prioritized.

why are there not more custom sportys out there!?
Are there supposed to be? Maybe some folks think they're pretty cool right out of the box.

Don't worry though. I doubt you'll **** off too many people, likely lots of eye rolls / facepalms though. Good work on the trolling.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

do you have a link that is dedicated more to just Nightsters or more of the Dirt tracker styles?
Try using the search function.

Ya I have taken a ton of **** off my bike but I have also fabricated and added several things on it as well and its not near done
Good because it still looks a lot like the other "custom" bikes on this forum to me.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bryanhayn
reasons why I choose (or will choose) to go with bolt-on stuff:

1. I can do it myself
2. It's cheap(er than paying someone to fabricate parts)
3. It's fast (Don't need to take my bike to a shop and leave it there. My bike is my only form of transportation.)
I have no background in working on bikes or even fabrication but I have done everything you see on my bike myself. bought it in March of this year completely stock and went at it. Thus is why I am saying I don't see why more people do not cut into their bikes and do a little more custom work besides bolt ons. My bike is not my only transportation but I ride it 95% of the time.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok here we go. I have a lot of one off brass pieces my friend and I made from scratch. I do have a lot of bolt on parts on my 48 but re-made to make them original. Between powder coating stock/aftermarket parts and building 1 off small items like all my brass spacers,ignition cover,fuel petcock cover, etc. I even have a 1942 original Presto fire extinguisher on my bike. I have made my 48 different from anybody else's.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rockatansky
Really? A problem? Damn, dude, your life must be pretty good. Or oddly prioritized.

Are there supposed to be? Maybe some folks think they're pretty cool right out of the box.

Don't worry though. I doubt you'll **** off too many people, likely lots of eye rolls / facepalms though. Good work on the trolling.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with sportys right out of the box at all. I am simply asking why there are not more custom ones and if there are where can I find them cause I have not had much luck

Quick Reply: Probably going to piss a lot of members off