Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably going to piss a lot of members off

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM
billiebj
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you 100%. You see one Sporster you've seen them all. I have an 06 1200 Custom and I try to make it "MINE" but it looks like any other.....You can only do so much and if you do something different and it's really cool, lots of others will do it and like I said, " you've seen one......."

Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty funny because 4 guys I know personally have short shots and 2 with Arlen ness fairings I pick on them because they are all the same but people like what they like.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer

I think you might have Custom and Ratbike confused idk anyways you make your bike what you want it to be you can always change it.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 AM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see why anyone would get pissed off at what you said.

What one person likes another might not.

To you it is important to customize, thats cool, I like to do one off stuff when I Can too, but its not for everyone.

Even though I think you dont care and wont read it I will add my two cents to try and answer your question,
Consider that a sporty for many is their first bike or an entry level bike, or an economic choice, all of which means you are going to see a lot less customizing where as more experienced riders, riders with more expensive bikes who have more money to work with and are ready for more than a stock or nearly stock bikes spend more on working on their bikes.
Look at the baggers or softtails especially the choppedbaggers, some of these bikes are insanely unique and many do the work themselves.

Anyway who cares?

If you dont see a lot of custom sporty's keep searching I am sure there out there.

Maybe you could stand out more easily with yours since it seems you cant find many others who are doing the same.

I think your bike looks cool but it doesnt look any different than any other blacked out sporty I have seen, I am sure there might be stuff there I dont see or know about but at a glance it doesnt stand out and say check out this cool unique self done customizing I did.

I also think why would you put in a ton of mods and money into a 8 to 10k bike that will only go down in value? I think more often people upgrade to a bigger bike rather than spend a bunch of money on their first bike.

I just read a thread where a guy bought a 2012 cvo and had it shipped right to the body shop, no he didnt do the work himself, but he envisioned it and paid for it and had the bike transformed into a beautiful functional piece of art if you ask me, others think, why the hell would anyone do that, why not just buy a second bike rather than dump all hat cash into a brand new one, lol for every person is another opinion.
You might have gotten a lot more support and info if you werent so hostile in your post and just asked to see all the custom sporty's.

Just my opinion.

To each their own man, relax.
Lump

Last edited by lumper; 10-15-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chaddallas
I run into this problem everywhere, why are there not more custom sportys out there!? they are so easy to modify and I don't get it. I am not talking custom like your "typical" Harley bolt ons from the factory. To me that is equivalent to a rice rocket with all the Pep Boys **** on it. But even where I live its just a bunch of sportys and baggers with a bunch of bolt ons and they call their bike "custom" or "bobbers" To me 90% of every single sportster, nightster and 48 on here all look the same to me. Vance and Hines exhaust, drag bars and springer seat and thats about it. I have looked over this whole forum trying to find full on custom sportys and not had much luck. If you have one PLEASE do me a favor and post pics of your bike so I can actually see a custom bike on here. I def apologize if I **** anyone off I am just venting and wanting to know why people do not go beyond the bolt on applications on their bikes.

Why you ask? Because after all that custom work, it's still just a Sportster. I have an 883, I wouldn't be dumb enough to do any custom work to it, because you'll never see it back in resale value. It is what it is.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I have over a dozen hand made(by me) parts on my bike.......

Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

How's that knobby tire doing for you on the rode? Other than engine work, most guys get bolt on parts because you can get almost anything after market...even a swing arm that would work on your bike after you get a pair bolt on shocks. I happen to like to stripped down look as I've gone down that road with my Street Bob but also have so called bolt on parts. Like alot of what your doing on yours...but gotta ask about the comfort of your seat.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

My sporty is modified, but the mods are subtle.

I see a TON of flat black everything Sportys around. Chrome and candy paint are more unique.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 10-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Originally Posted by chaddallas
I run into this problem everywhere, why are there not more custom sportys out there!? . I def apologize if I **** anyone off I am just venting and wanting to know why people do not go beyond the bolt on applications on their bikes.

Not EVERYBODY is the same, People are different from one another. It comes down to desire, time, money, talent/skills/ but most of all preference and what they want.
Some people want a mechanical hobby, others dont even like to change their own oil.
Back in the 70's I often heard,"You wern't a real biker unless you worked on your own bike."
I saw people buy brand new levi jeans and never wash them, so that when they rode they could wear their new greasy biker jeans.

Many people work or modify their own bikes out of necessity or they don't want to pay out money for others to do it.

Me for example ,I dream of winning the mega lottery so I can buy a total custom built bike and have the sweedish bikini team wash it for me and never ever turn a wrench on it.

See dealer custom sportsters here:http://www.eastsideharley.com/other_..._inventory.asp

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
blacklander48
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Probably going to piss a lot of members off