Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 08:08 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Where are you in Texas?

Old 09-12-2012 | 08:32 PM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser

The Forty Eight logo SUCKS! I thought about paint but ultimately just stripped the existing paint off with "airplane stripper" and left it raw. I use Boeshield to prevent rusting. I think it looks bad ***. I wrote about it and posted pics somewhere on this forum.

Old 09-12-2012 | 10:03 PM
PosterPerfectPhoto
Tourer

I don't know enough about the paint they are using however I wonder if you could just sand off the logo and then shoot a coat of clear back over it? Pretty sure they shoot the base color first and then paint the logo afterwards followed by a clear coat.

Old 09-13-2012 | 08:41 AM
Vette2k2
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
What you dont understand is its probably not worth it for a body shop to mess with your tins. Not enough profit. They want insurance work, not bike tins.
Its not like I called Maaco. I called a bunch of supposedly "custom" paint shops that do bikes, cars, classics etc. The only place I have left to call is the place that has done work on my brothers Mustang and my Vette.

Here's what I did for the time being,

I just cut out a template for each side of the tank, then cut out some gloss black vinyl, you can hardly see the difference from 10' away.. haha it works for now until I can afford the downtime to get it painted.[/QUOTE]

Thats not bad. I didnt think about vinyl wrap either... Just wrap the whole tank and slap my decal on it.

If you did all the prep work and all i had to do is spray one color i wouldnt charge less than $600.
Interesting. Whats the breakdown on that? I had my Vette fender and front bumper repainted recently (someone decided they didn't like the old ones while I was asleep) and it cost less than 1500 for the parts (new fender and bumper) and prep/paint. (The guilty party handed me cash rather than go through insurance) I don't care how impressive your paint resume may be, its just gloss black on a tank only, not the Sistine chapel.

Originally Posted by Dafy
Agree with everything so far. The day I got the bike I sanded the logo off.

But it's just paint and steel. Sand it now to lose the logo, but come up with ideas over the winter to paint it:

We dont have "winter" here. I drive my bike/Vette all year round. I already know how and what I want done, I just wanted to do some shopping around on prices first.

Originally Posted by hutch08
Seeing that your from Texas... Check out Chemical Candy Customs in Dallas, one of the top painters around!

http://thebackstreetbucket.blogspot.ca/

Probably not cheap, but you'll have the slickest 48 in town!

(Yes thats a beer holder!)

Nice work, but I really have my heart set on my design lay out. I want it simple but aggressive, just like the Forty-Eight is supposed to be.

Last edited by Vette2k2; 09-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2012 | 08:46 AM
Vette2k2
|
Cruiser

Where are you in Texas?
Houston. I10 Beltway 8 west area.

Originally Posted by InsomniaInc
The Forty Eight logo SUCKS! I thought about paint but ultimately just stripped the existing paint off with "airplane stripper" and left it raw. I use Boeshield to prevent rusting. I think it looks bad ***. I wrote about it and posted pics somewhere on this forum.
I think it looks great, but I need black. My vehicles only come in one color.

Originally Posted by PosterPerfectPhoto
I don't know enough about the paint they are using however I wonder if you could just sand off the logo and then shoot a coat of clear back over it? Pretty sure they shoot the base color first and then paint the logo afterwards followed by a clear coat.
Logo is a vinyl under the clear from what I understand. Worst case Ill just break out my paint gun and have a little fun with it. I just hate the down time, and I would hate to spend the money on buying the paint and supplies just to ruin it and have to pay someone to do it in the long run. "If you think its expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire and amateur"

Old 09-13-2012 | 09:36 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

You can rattle can it and do a really decent job for $150 max. If you take your time. Check out my Winter Makeover thread, near the end I explain how I did mine.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...keover-22.html

Get some Spray Max 2k clear coat. Comes in a rattle can and is impervious to gas. You can apply your vinyl decals and clear coat right over them. I buffed everything by hand and it still came out really nice. If you've got the time and the inclination to do it yourself and you're not looking for a show quality result this is a very inexpensive alternative to $1000+ professional paint job.

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:29 AM
Vette2k2
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ergonight
You can rattle can it and do a really decent job for $150 max. If you take your time. Check out my Winter Makeover thread, near the end I explain how I did mine.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...keover-22.html

Get some Spray Max 2k clear coat. Comes in a rattle can and is impervious to gas. You can apply your vinyl decals and clear coat right over them. I buffed everything by hand and it still came out really nice. If you've got the time and the inclination to do it yourself and you're not looking for a show quality result this is a very inexpensive alternative to $1000+ professional paint job.
My brother and I both read through your thread. Love the build! Just got done reading it an hour or so ago. Really leaning more towards doing it myself after seeing how yours came out.

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:38 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by Vette2k2
My brother and I both read through your thread. Love the build! Just got done reading it an hour or so ago. Really leaning more towards doing it myself after seeing how yours came out.
Cool. If I can do it anyone can. Just take your time. Wet sand between coats. Don't worry about little imperfections, especially early on. They will all (or mostly) come out in the final buffing process. There are a ton of youtubes about doing a rattle can job, and some of those have some good info. Good luck wtih it!

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:10 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool... Im in kingwood.

Old 09-14-2012 | 07:45 AM
1forrest1
Advanced

the most important part of the painting process is the prep work (priming and sanding) get that the way you want the paint to look and you're 90% there

Quick Reply: Painting tank