Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from deployment - Upgrades Time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM
SGT Z
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from deployment - Upgrades Time!

My deployment present for myself is going to be adding a bunch of stuff to my 2011 Custom. I want pipes, handlebars, fork extensions, and a sissy bar.

For the pipes, I saw a website recently that compared a bunch of different brands - V&H, SE, etc and I think I would prefer Bassani. They were the loudest and best performance gains. All the brands submitted slip ons for the test and I was thinking I would like the whole package, not just slip ons.

Handlebars - I was thinking apes, about nose level, and pulled back a bit. I like to ride leaning back like I'm in a Lazyboy chair. I do that now with the stock bars but it stretches my arms out and gets uncomfortable after a while. I'm not sure which size apes I'd need. I'm 6 foot even, so whatever is nose level for my size. I seen some Z-bars at the redeployment motorcycle class I went to yesterday and I think they look real nice. I might prefer those over traditional ape hangers.

Fork extensions - I'm looking for an old school look. Not ridiculously long, but long enough to where my bike wouldn't look out of place if it were in the movie Easy Rider.

Sissy bar - I don't want my old lady or daughters falling off the back, so this is a must. Also, I want one long enough to strap backpacks to if I decide to go on a weekend cruise camping. I'm thinking like 2 to 3 feet, so definitely not the ones they sell at the Harley dealer.

So.... any tips or suggestions? It's my understanding that ape hangers and fork extensions sometimes come with cable kits for the brakes and clutch. If I get both, I'm assuming I'll need super long ones. Also, I'm going to do all this work myself. I'm an Army mechanic, but I've never worked on bikes before.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
reddog81
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Bassani's from that test after reading the review and they are really nice. I was concerned that they would be too loud since the testers made it sound like the are unbearable. But I think they sound great on my 883. The fit and finish was just as good as stock and they actually felt a little beefier
You might want to look into X14IED's to enrichen the fuel mixture a little.
Hope all the upgrades go well.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome back man. Check out Bassani sweepers, they look great on sportys. Also check out Biltwell bars http://www.biltwellinc.com/, I just put on their breezer bars and really like them so far(great fit and finish). They also have some pretty cool risers. I just bought a used set of X14IED's here and have not installed them yet so I have no expierence with them. But you will need some type of fuel managment when you add pipes and a/c.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 AM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up slim fab on chopcult for a sissy bar, working on a bike is the same as working on a car. get a manual and dont do anything your not comfortable with.