Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IT is time to start learning how to!!! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IT is time to start learning how to!!! Please help.

Hello all,

I do not have a HD dealer close to me here in TOrreon, Mexico. I dont have a manual. Normally, I brough mty bike to shop, but now it looks like I will have to doi the work this time around.l
I will be calling an HD located in Queretero (kay-ret-ter-o) I will be asking them to ship what I need for a oil and filter change. THe breaks are in good shape and everything else seems to be ok.; it has been 3,500 miles since the lsat oil change. WHAT do I NEED TO have for TOOLS and product? DO I need gasgets, never done one before and itis time to start leanring!

it is a 2003 xl1200c anniverysary edition, it is a carbed bike. I appreciate any help.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

If you're just changing your oil, you need:
A 5/8" socket or open end wrench for the drain plug. (edit: just saw you have a sporty-not sure what size the drain plug is)
If the drain plug "O" ring is damaged, you need to replace (less than $1.00) and slips over the shaft of the drain plug.
4 qts. of oil.
One oil filter.
Harley or other brand filter small wrench.
Shallow drain pan.

I really suggest you get a service manual for your bike. Lots of good info if you're going to be working on it yourself.
You should be able to find one on line.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 09-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be the same as mine... the oil drains out of a tube that has a plastic plug on the end of it held by a clamp. You get at it from under the bike, it just hangs down there. You need a shallow drain pan like mentioned above, just loosen the clamp with a screwdriver and pull the plug, let it drain and put the plug back and tighten. The filter comes off with a filter wrench, it's too hard to get a grip on to just take it off by hand like on a car. Get something under the filter to direct the flow of oil as you take if off or you'll make a mess. I usually just use the box from the new filter, folded into a "V" and pushed up under where the filter meets the engine.

You should need 3 quarts of oil, but probably will be at the proper level in close to 2.75 quarts.

Last edited by edgeofinsanity; 09-10-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anything I do to the primary, is that fluid differnet? I have read that I need to replace the primary fluid as well? Is this right?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Others have answered your question, but I'd like to add something else - PLEASE buy the HD service manual for your year/model bike. It details pretty much everything you'd ever want to do to your motorcycle, in excellent detail and will save you a lot of money and hassle over the years. Additionally it gives you a huge confidence boost to read about a particular procedure before you actually do it yourself. Also, youtube videos are available for almost anything you'd want to do, so use them regularly.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 AM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search youtube and they'll show people changing their oil to find where the drains are if needed. Have an o ring handy in case it needs changed. I like K&N oil filters on mine because it takes a socket, no fighting with a strap too get it off. Also prefer amsoil synthetic (just personal preference) and I put it in both motor and primary, about 2.75 in motor and 1 in primary. I would put wood under sidestand, pull plug for motor, and unscrew drain in primary. Pull your dipstick to let it flow better. Once pretty much done draining take off oil filter, it will make a little mess (form something to wedge in there to catch oil or direct to pan before pulling. Plug up drain hose and put drain plug back in primary replacing o ring on primary drain plug if looks bad. Put a couple ounces in new filter, get finger in oil wipe around gasket on filter, put filter on hand tight. Don't use tools putting it back on, you'll never get it off again HAND TIGHT. Dump about 2.75 qt in where your dipstick came out of for motor, and take little chain inspection cover (sorry drawing blank on that name, little access point by your derby cover) off get a funnel in there and dump 1 qt. put cover back on. Run it, ride it, get it up to temp check motors level, add a little if needed otherwise done.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 AM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike has to be upright for primary to drain properly, if not your primary will not completely drain and 1 qt will be too much. There's a more official way to do it but requires removing derby cover etc which risks destroying or fighting with that gasket and chancing stripping those screws not worth it imo.