Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long since your last ride? (have you got the winter blues?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 AM
sportin_2007
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long since your last ride? (have you got the winter blues?)

Well folks, I may live north of the lower 48, but some of us up here in Canada are blessed by living in a city that experiences warm winter winds coming in over the rocky mountains that allows us temps into the plus teens in the dead of winter. This phenominom is called a "Chinook" arch condition, and there are only a couple of regions on the planet that get them. Here and somewhere in Switzerland I think. Anyways, after a couple weeks of bitter cold and a fleecing of snow, it popped up over 40 this week and all the snow is just about gone again.

The temperature is headed just short of 50 here during the next couple days and I have already been out riding through town here this week. I am going out each day in the mid afternon sun and wondered how many of my fellow forum readers have been making it out on the odd jaunt in the midst of old man winter? I know that all of you in the Southern States get out, but i'm more interested in finding out how long some of you have been waiting since your last real ride?

I have been out afew times eachmonth during November and December, and up till yesterday, I had not ridden my scoot since Christmas day when I was out for a chilly but fun ride. I am going out again today, and will continue to ride all week since the weathers good. Just never know when we are going to get another deep freeze and a pounding of snow. Thumbs up at all you guys down in Colorado that are riding your snow machines through all that white stuff. HeHe!

Heres a video of me warming up the bikethis week justbefore riding.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: How long since your last ride? (have you got the winter blues?)

I haven't been out in a week. Too cold and yesterday we had 2" of snow here in the Old Pueblo.(First time since April 99.) Things should be back to normal within the week.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
hd55
Cruiser

Rode till about the early Jan.Near Chicago.It's 25 and feels 12 right now,plus ice salt.Yeech!

[IMG]local://upfiles/23318/9F93AE1C6C5543EFAC5E3E2F32E80FCC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

With the exception of 2 weeks at the beginning of December, I was able to ride nearly daily......until 10 days ago, when the snow storms blew thru. Supposed to bein the mid 40s this Friday, which is warm enuff, and there is a Patriot Guard mission in the area that day....but, I have about 4" of snow between the shed and the driveway, so unless I shovel a 60 foot path for the bike, I doubt I will get it out.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

End of December was the last ride for me here in Toronto. It's cold, snowy and lot's of salt on the roads now, so at least 7 weeks for me before the next ride, unless I break down and trailer it somewhere.

Joe

Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
mountainmistress
Ultimate HDF Member

We get Chinooks here in Montana also... and because of the Chinooks I have been able to ride every day since Saturday. So far this winter the longest I have gone without riding is 2 weeks.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 AM
sportin_2007
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mountainmistress

We get Chinooks here in Montana also... and because of the Chinooks I have been able to ride every day since Saturday. So far this winter the longest I have gone without riding is 2 weeks.
Didn't know that you gotChinooks inMontana, but I guess it makes sense we wew are so close to each other. I'm in Calgary and will be down running through Great Falls when I ride to Sturgis this coming August. I've seen that pic of yours before and chuckled when I saw that snow at the side of the road. Looks just like an Alberta ride to me!

Cheers

Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
mountainmistress
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sportin_2007

ORIGINAL: mountainmistress

Didn't know that you gotChinooks inMontana, but I guess it makes sense we wew are so close to each other. Where in MT are you located. I'm in Calgary and will be down running through Great Falls, Butte, and Billings when I ride to Sturgis this coming August. I've seen that pic of yours before and chuckled when I saw that snow at the side of the road. Looks just like an Alberta ride to me!

Cheers
Im in Great Falls. Maybe I will see you on the road to Sturgis... I am planning on going also. I have gone on road trips to Calgary before. You get better concerts than we do. Look me up on your way through... I'll meet you for a beer.My signature picture was taken at the top of Rogers Pass going toward Lincoln.It was taken Thanksgiving week... Fun ride.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
sportin_2007
Tourer

Very cool indeed. Been through Rogers Pass more than a few times and love it. I saw from your myspace site that you're in Great falls so yes, I will drop you a message when we shore up our travel plans. A beer would be totally cool. You take care and i'll talk to you later. (also added you on myspace) [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
CBJCH
Cruiser

New's year's Day for me here in Ohio
It was cold but fun. Man I am getting depressed about this winter.

Quick Reply: How long since your last ride? (have you got the winter blues?)