Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVP Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CVP Jet Kit

I just got my jet kit from CVP and going to be working on it tonite. I had SEII slip ons with dk customs torque inserts and the bike was running really good, so I ordered a stage 1 a/c from figure engineering so I knew I was gonna need to re jet the carb.

Well last week when I got the A/c I installed it and wanted to see how the bike ran without jetting the carb while waiting for the carb jet kit. With the A/C installed the bike is running amazing throttle response is very crisp so is decel, the power thru the whole rev range is very smooth, overall the bike just feels amazing.

I really dont think the previous owner did any carb work but I'm kinda thinking why mess with the carb if the bike is running fine already, I know you need to re jet after doing both a/c and pipes. When I changed out my plugs a few weeks ago they has alot of soot and were black so I think that means it was running rich. Usually bikes start out from the factory very lean. I guess I wont find out until I actually pull the carb and check the jets. Is it possible that my carb was already running rich enough for these mods? Should I just install the jet kit and see how it is after? or maybe pull the plugs and see what they look like, I've only put about 100miles on the bike since running the a/c and pipes.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Davemac122383
I just got my jet kit from CVP and going to be working on it tonite. I had SEII slip ons with dk customs torque inserts and the bike was running really good, so I ordered a stage 1 a/c from figure engineering so I knew I was gonna need to re jet the carb.

Well last week when I got the A/c I installed it and wanted to see how the bike ran without jetting the carb while waiting for the carb jet kit. With the A/C installed the bike is running amazing throttle response is very crisp so is decel, the power thru the whole rev range is very smooth, overall the bike just feels amazing.

I really dont think the previous owner did any carb work but I'm kinda thinking why mess with the carb if the bike is running fine already, I know you need to re jet after doing both a/c and pipes. When I changed out my plugs a few weeks ago they has alot of soot and were black so I think that means it was running rich. Usually bikes start out from the factory very lean. I guess I wont find out until I actually pull the carb and check the jets. Is it possible that my carb was already running rich enough for these mods? Should I just install the jet kit and see how it is after? or maybe pull the plugs and see what they look like, I've only put about 100miles on the bike since running the a/c and pipes.
Bingo.
If the plugs indicated that the bike was running rich before your A/C installation, odds are that the carb was probably re-jetted previously, but you won't know until you pull the jets and check their size.

If the bike runs fine as is now, meaning no decel popping or backfiring, I'd leave the jets alone and just monitor the color of a new clean set of plugs.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Agreed with CHarley. You never know until you verify yourself.

As for the CVP kit, I have one on my '02 XL883. I love the kit. I was replacing a Dynojet Thunderslide kit with it, so going back to the stock slide and CVP parts was a huge difference in itself. Smooth powerband, good mileage, and it runs much better. I can't really comment on what it would be compared to stock.

Also, just so you know if you continue to move forward, I'm running the 42/170 jets and 1.5 turns out on the screw from CVP. I put the "recommended" Stage 1 jets in (44/175) and they were wayyyyyyy too rich. So much so that they killed the engine just rolling the throttle.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer

Thanks for all the advice guys, I didnt have time to work on the bike tonite so I'll prob work on it over the weekend. I report back with my results and let you guys know how I did and how the kit worked out. Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

I installed the CVP kit in my 01 1200 XLC with an SE A/C and (unkown) drag pipes. I installed the prescribed jets listed in the instructions, the new needle and the new adjuster screw. You can read more about it at this location.

It worked like a charm for me. Beasly is now a beast. He was quick before, but now he hauls butt.

I haven't done the spark plug check yet, but I may do that this weekend. It would be interesting to see what condition the plugs are in now.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Syris71
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I'm running the 42/170 jets and 1.5 turns out on the screw from CVP. I put the "recommended" Stage 1 jets in (44/175) and they were wayyyyyyy too rich. So much so that they killed the engine just rolling the throttle.
Its always amazes me how similar spec bikes can run so different from each other.
I have a 2000 883 and I put the 44/175 jets in after adding the Kuryakyn Mach 2 Air filter and V&H pipes. And it runs great - plugs look normal, no hesitation, no decel popping. Now my curiosity got me thinking of putting the 42/170 jets back in just to see if it runs different.

BTW a big thumbs up for the CVP kit, easy to install and bike seems to run better.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer

I did the CV Performance carb kit tonite and found that someone did previously re jet the carb. Like I said in my other post, after adding my stage 1 a/c along with the SE II slip ons the bike was running great overall so I did think maybe the bike had some carb work done. The jets I found in the carb were 45/175, the new kit recommends 44/175 but since the bike was running good with those I stayed with the 45/175. It doesnt look like anything but the jets were replaced because the mixture screw still had the plug. I replaced the emulsion tube and 175 jet with the CVP jet/tube. I also changed the spring for the slide. So maybe with the parts from cvp the bike will run better and I'll have more control over tunning it.

I wont start the bike and fine tune it until tomorrow since its pretty late here and I dont want to **** of neighbors.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Davemac122383
Tourer

I took the bike for a ride after doing the re jet kit. Bike pretty much feels like it did prior to installing the re jet kit. The bike was already re jetted so I only changed a few parts such as the emulsion tube, spring, added the ez mixture screw. I think I got the bike run pretty good, I'm just about 2 turns out for the mixture screw. The only issue I have is that once in a great while maybe every 10-15 miles I get a small carb fart, other than that everything is smooth. Should I give the mixture screw another 1/8 to 1/2 turn out?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Davemac122383
I took the bike for a ride after doing the re jet kit. Bike pretty much feels like it did prior to installing the re jet kit. The bike was already re jetted so I only changed a few parts such as the emulsion tube, spring, added the ez mixture screw. I think I got the bike run pretty good, I'm just about 2 turns out for the mixture screw. The only issue I have is that once in a great while maybe every 10-15 miles I get a small carb fart, other than that everything is smooth. Should I give the mixture screw another 1/8 to 1/2 turn out?
I probably wouldn't go much more than 1/8 turn, then I would put a fair number of miles on it and check the plugs before doing anything more extreme.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexWS
I probably wouldn't go much more than 1/8 turn, then I would put a fair number of miles on it and check the plugs before doing anything more extreme.
Good advice. 1/8th turns at a time. 1/2 turn is a HUGE adjustment.

Quick Reply: CVP Jet Kit