Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 sporty 883 hiccup on take off and low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM
slutpuppy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k pulled the breather off. Twist throttle and it gets fuel through little pump. still not sure on the mixture screw location. I know were the idle screw is with the spring on it. and the screw to drain bowl. but i not seeing anything that might be a mixture screw. Pics anyone?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
slutpuppy
5th Gear

Forgot a big point that hopefully helps. It all started the other day when i was riding in the rain. My first thought was maybe bad coil or bed coil connection. Once i got home i checked each plug they look ok. The tapped starter to check fire on plugs both blue fire. front cyclinder sparks every time hot blue. rear hit most the time but would lis on occasion. Keep in mind i just bumped the start button, i did not fire the bike up. Plz keep thoughts and ideas coming. Thanks Guys

Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Your bike does not have a fuel pump … those are found on fuel injected bikes. The accelerator pump noted earlier by Scuba is located within the carburetor. Assuming everything is good on the ignition side of your bike, you are likely in need of a carburetor rebuild.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
slutpuppy
5th Gear

When pulled the breather off right behind it is a lil brass piece that sticks up and when you twist the throttle it squirts fuel into the carb. Is that part of the pump that we are speaking off? Sorry for some many noob questions. Thanx

Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by slutpuppy
When pulled the breather off right behind it is a lil brass piece that sticks up and when you twist the throttle it squirts fuel into the carb. Is that part of the pump that we are speaking off? Sorry for some many noob questions. Thanx
The brass tower that squirts fuel into the venturi is the accelerator pump.

As little as you know about the CV carb, I highly suggest you do A LOT of reading before you attempt anything, or take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It's not rocket science, but if you go blindly messing with stuff you will end up far worse than when you started.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
The brass tower that squirts fuel into the venturi is the accelerator pump.

As little as you know about the CV carb, I highly suggest you do A LOT of reading before you attempt anything, or take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It's not rocket science, but if you go blindly messing with stuff you will end up far worse than when you started.
Agree. You need a manual if you do not have one yet. There is info in the manual other thenthen the carb that will serve you well.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

it may just have water in the gas...you did say it started after riding in the rain after all...

Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
slutpuppy
5th Gear

I have already ran couple more tanks of fuel through it since the rain as well as some lucas fuel treatment. Which did not change the way the bike ran at all.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
scaldwellk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you get a good high res picture of the plugs?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
slutpuppy
5th Gear

SOLVED.......... Thanx for all the ideas and help. Were the plug wire meets the coilwas corroided badly. Cleaned it up now running smoothly. Thanx again................Hell Yea

Quick Reply: 99 sporty 883 hiccup on take off and low rpms