Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have an issue with traffic lights not working for you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM
K9Tamer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have an issue with traffic lights not working for you?

So I am currently in San Antonio and today alone I had 5 traffic lights not ever work for my lane. They have sensors right? Maybe the scooter isn't heavy enough for the sensors to recognize that anyone is there? In this case what is the correct thing to do? Wait it out? As I was sitting at one light cooking away I waited for at least 5 mins with no other vehicles in the immediate area so I ran it.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how the law applies in your area, but around here if your vehicle doesn't trip the sensor, you can go through a red if no traffic has passed in two minutes.

Probably best to call your local cop station's non-emergency number.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM
mikeallenbrown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some work, some don't. It's a common problem for bikers. I try to stop the bike right over the sensors in the ground (you usually can see them). If that doesn't work after a couple cycles I usually just go straight and make a u turn. Some cops are not forgiving and will ticket you for running the red.

Also, I've heard of some bikers placing magnets on the bottom of the engine...not sure how well that works.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stop over the top of the sensor will help with that. It is magnetic, not weight that trips the sensors. Also check if you can pass though in those situations. Here in TN, a motorcycle can run though a red light after "a reasonable amount of time" (whatever that is) if the light doesn't change.

I even have the problem sometimes on my Ultra Classic.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Stop over the top of the sensor will help with that. It is magnetic, not weight that trips the sensors. Also check if you can pass though in those situations. Here in TN, a motorcycle can run though a red light after "a reasonable amount of time" (whatever that is) if the light doesn't change.

I even have the problem sometimes on my Ultra Classic.
The induction loop triggers detect metal but it's not magnetic. Don't waste your money on those stupid magnets with zip ties that they sell as they won't work. I've tested this using even stronger magnets that I pulled from old hard drives and it doesn't do ****.

If you need to trigger the induction loops, weld some steel plates to the bottom.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,353 Posts

If you can see where the sensor is, try to roll over the center of it, it seems to work most the time.

Anyone know the law in CA? There's a couple in my neighborhood that don't work for me no matter how I've covered the sensors.

John

Old 09-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I've pretty much given up with trying to trigger lights. Almost all of the major streets around me are timed so it's no big deal. I'm thinking there's no sensors because of the constant wind but I know which intersections that are impossible to trigger lights at so I take an alternate route to go where I'm headed. I mean, when it gets to the point where you have to dismount, hit that pedestrian trigger button and wait for the light to change, it's easier to take the long way around to get where you're going.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

In WI you can proceed after 45 seconds, if there is no traffic coming.

http://statutes.laws.com/wisconsin/346/346.37

Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM
K9Tamer
Cruiser

Good to know. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbyun
The induction loop triggers detect metal but it's not magnetic. Don't waste your money on those stupid magnets with zip ties that they sell as they won't work. I've tested this using even stronger magnets that I pulled from old hard drives and it doesn't do ****.

If you need to trigger the induction loops, weld some steel plates to the bottom.
And that was exactly my point. The sensors have magnets that cause them to trip. Not that it's magnetic from the vehicles. The magnets in the sensor strip sense the metal above a click upward.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have an issue with traffic lights not working for you?