Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped bike...fml

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
candywhitevdub
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped bike...fml

Hey guys! This isn't how I wanted to introduce myself but ohh well.

I started out riding vintage motorcycles and wanted something newer/faster/nicer. I had a 1971 Honda CL175 (slow but fun).

I picked up this 2004 XL883 and love it.

I was out the other night tired and frustrated from a long day at work. I went to park the bike and tripped on the foot peg and dropped the bike on the right side (I'm still pissed and this happened a week ago). Then and there I thought the only thing that happened was a bent brake lever and hurt pride.

After eating I came to find these symptoms:
- When the bike turned on the flashers all illuminated then flashed about 6 times.
- Flashers all illuminate but wont flash.
- Brake lights don't work.
- Speedometer doesn't work.
- Speedometer doesn't light up.
- Top right fuse blown.

Things I've tried:
- Replacing fuse (it just blew right after).
- Checking wiring (I really hate electrical, I never found anything except for some questionable wiring by the previous owner.)
- Tried running a DTC code on the speedometer but nothing happened.
- Took off the back of the speedometer and unplugged and plugged in the connector and heard noises like the needle was trying to move. I did it again and the needle shakes a bit and that's it.

I'm really hoping that I can get some help here to get this all fixed without needing to go to the dealer.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If the fuse keeps blowing a hot wire is grounding itself somewhere.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
K9Tamer
Cruiser

Candy, if it were mine I'd start by taking a closer look at the "questionable" wiring. A low/ no speed drop like that shouldn't have any effect to mostly everything but cosmetics. If you are blowing a fuse repeatedly I'd be willing to bet you have a loose connection or something grounding out most likely around the "questionable" area. Start there wiggle connections and look for shady E-tape or after market conector jobs on the wires. Good luck man.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only help I can give you is get forward controls. Otherwise, you will trip again. I almost dropped my bike with the mid pegs. Now, no issues at all. Good luck in getting the bike fixed.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM
candywhitevdub
6th Gear

WOW, thanks guys! I will start with the wiring but does anyone know what the fuse is supposed to go with?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the owners manual to the bike it will have a chart showing what the fuses control.May also be a chart on the bike,possibly under a side cover.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the right hand side switch and wiring too. Maybe the wires got jammed or torn from the drop. I assume all of this was fine before, right?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
Only help I can give you is get forward controls. Otherwise, you will trip again. I almost dropped my bike with the mid pegs. Now, no issues at all. Good luck in getting the bike fixed.
Been riding bikes with mid controls for 15 years now and never tripped over the pegs. I've done other stupid things (put a foot down on an oil spot, forgotten that gravel doesn't support a kickstand, etc), but I've never had an issue from the placement of the pegs.

This was just one of those "**** happens" things for the OP. It's not some chronic issue with mid controls.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Dafy
Tourer

You fell on the right so check the right side by eye...if something seems weird use a meter and your eye. For example, you might find a penguin strapped to your right side fork. Penguins are only about 50volt before they become major conductors

Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your bars internally wired? Wire pinched or cut somewhere in there?

Quick Reply: dropped bike...fml