Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped bike...fml

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nc883
Take a look at the right hand side switch and wiring too. Maybe the wires got jammed or torn from the drop. I assume all of this was fine before, right?

yep, that sounds like right place to start, the switch housing could have twisted and ground out one of the wires.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Sounds like your handlebar switch housings got jammed into the brilliantly designed "dimple" and pinched some wires. Mine got knocked over on the right and I luckily found only one wire pinched.

That dimple has caused more electrical issues than anything else from what I read on these forums.

John

Old 09-03-2012, 05:41 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

May have a pinched wire by by hand controls, by thumbs. Also ck for loose or dirty battery cables.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM
candywhitevdub
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the right hand side switch and wiring too. Maybe the wires got jammed or torn from the drop. I assume all of this was fine before, right?
Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
yep, that sounds like right place to start, the switch housing could have twisted and ground out one of the wires.
Originally Posted by John Harper
Sounds like your handlebar switch housings got jammed into the brilliantly designed "dimple" and pinched some wires. Mine got knocked over on the right and I luckily found only one wire pinched.

That dimple has caused more electrical issues than anything else from what I read on these forums.

John
Originally Posted by checkers
May have a pinched wire by by hand controls, by thumbs. Also ck for loose or dirty battery cables.
DING DING DING! winner! There was a cable pinched in the dimple! I taped it up and now all the front of the bike problems are fixed and the fuse holds up!

Now the problem is the rear lights. It just has the turn signals (no tail light). They worked great until we started messing with the wires trying to see if it was something with that wiring.

The tails just light up and don't flash and don't light up when I press the brake.

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Been riding bikes with mid controls for 15 years now and never tripped over the pegs. I've done other stupid things (put a foot down on an oil spot, forgotten that gravel doesn't support a kickstand, etc), but I've never had an issue from the placement of the pegs.

This was just one of those "**** happens" things for the OP. It's not some chronic issue with mid controls.
Exactly, I LOVE the mid's and wouldn't change them for anything else. Just fumbled a little bit and that's all it took.

Does anyone know what the proper wiring is for the tails with no brake light?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you broke the stoplight switch in the right hand control.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
candywhitevdub
6th Gear

So I have now located the back lighting to be a mess with the shoty wiring.

The bike has this harness on it which seems to not work anymore. I think it is a harness that allows Brake/Flasher/Running from just the turn signals:

I have figured out the following:
From the taillights:
Black: ground
Purple/Black: flash

From the harness:
1- Orange/White- constant
2- Brown- right flasher
3- Blue- constant
4- Red/Yellow- brake
5- Purple- left flasher
6- Black- ground

I am FAR from an electrical person and just want this all up and running. This will hopefully be the last thing I need done and it will be ready for the road.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 PM
candywhitevdub
6th Gear

Anyone? I really want to get this thing rolling again. The farthest back harness that plugs in is just all spare wires back...

Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 AM
nc883
Road Warrior

That's exactly what that harness is designed for, to turn the signals into stop lamps. Had one on mine when I bought it. My lights stopped working one day, because of that damned thing. Smack it a few times and see if your lights work, or, like I did, throw it away.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM
candywhitevdub
6th Gear

That's exactly what that harness is designed for, to turn the signals into stop lamps. Had one on mine when I bought it. My lights stopped working one day, because of that damned thing. Smack it a few times and see if your lights work, or, like I did, throw it away.
Damn, so does anyone know how to make these lights work without the module? Or am I just SOL until I get a new one or start running a tail light again?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 AM
nc883
Road Warrior

Don't see you having much of an option here, bud. Either get a tail lamp, a new module, or just deal with the lights being inoperative.

Quick Reply: dropped bike...fml