Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coating inside the tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
HDandME
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coating inside the tank

Hi all. I was out today shining up my new bike (yeah, its 20* out up here, I'm nuts.) and just looking at everything. I got out my trusty lil mag light and was inspecting the inside of the tank. I noticed It has a grey coating on the inside, and the coating is around the filler neck too. I have heard on these forums about that coating and how it peels and ruins a day when things get clogged.
My question is, is there a fuel filter on these things, I assume there must be. I didn't see one inline with the fuel line, so there's either one in or before the shutoff valve, or a screen in the carb. Where is it?

Should I be worried about this? I was thinking about putting a filter inline that I can periodically clean. Just one of those small clear ones that you somtimes see on lawn equipment.

Oh yeah, I found myself talking to "her" as I was cleaning and going over her(I'm serious). Should I be worried about that? Or is it common to talk to your machine?

Sean

Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Coating inside the tank

I talk to my bike all the time.....but then I've been in Therapy for over 10 years....

Nah, I wouldn't worry about...it.

There is a fuel strainer just above the shut off valve.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM
HDandME
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent. But I guess that means if I want to pull it, the tank has got to be drained. Ebay Has a clymer manual that I will be purchasing shortly.

Should I be worried about the coating peeling?

Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read on this or another forum, that the newer tanks are coated but nothing about the coating comeing off and clogging up the fuel system.

Tom

Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't say much about the coating, yes there is a fuel liter, it's part of assembly that we used to call the petcock, it's inside the tank. Make a genuine H-D service manual one of the first things to get starting NOW. You'll never regret the $58 or so. Bout all I've ever said to the "Horse" (that's his name) was "WOE".

Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave_E

Can't say much about the coating, yes there is a fuel liter, it's part of assembly that we used to call the petcock, it's inside the tank. Make a genuine H-D service manual one of the first things to get starting NOW. You'll never regret the $58 or so. Bout all I've ever said to the "Horse" (that's his name) was "WOE".

It is still refered to as the petcock, I just didn't want to further confuse the issue.

I think instead of putting a white label on the "enricher' **** that says "choke" They should label the PETCOCK....... that at least would be a good conversation starter.

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

And I also recommend the HD Service Manual. That's what I picked up to quickly find where the "fuel strainer" is located.