Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterization

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:11 AM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser
Default Winterization

This is the frist time I am going to have a bike through the winter. I had a doner bike (R6) several years ago, but I got rid of it before I had to winterize it.

Question is...what should I do to make sure my bike is safe for the winter. Obviously I will have it in the garage, but what else should I do? We have some pretty cold winters here in Indiana and I more than likely won't be riding from November till March or April.

What suggestions do you guys have? I just ordered the maintenance book from Harley and should have it in a few days. Figured I would change out the fluids before I stored it. What should I do with the fuel in the tank? What batter tender do you recommend? Anything else I should be doing?

Links would be helpful. Any suggestions will be given a chance.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:36 AM
FireNightster
Novice

I'm in Iowa so in the same boat as you for winter - hate it. This what i did winterizing my R6 before i got my harley, and it worked well.

1. Change the oil
2. Fill tank with fuel and add a stabilizer, i use Stabil. Let it run awhile to circulate
3. I pull the battery and bring it inside. Put on a battery tender, Battery Tender Junior by Deltran is a nice one.
4. Throw a cover on and say your goodbyes

I'm sure others have good ideas, but thats a good start

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:38 AM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

I don't have answer for you - but I'll be watching intently as others chime in.
Wanted to say hello though as I'm in Indiana too.
I'm on the North side of the Indianapolis area - you?

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:47 AM
Brion B
Road Captain

Too early to be talking of nasty things like winter.

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:54 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by J.R. White
This is the frist time I am going to have a bike through the winter. I had a doner bike (R6) several years ago, but I got rid of it before I had to winterize it.

Question is...what should I do to make sure my bike is safe for the winter. Obviously I will have it in the garage, but what else should I do? We have some pretty cold winters here in Indiana and I more than likely won't be riding from November till March or April.

What suggestions do you guys have? I just ordered the maintenance book from Harley and should have it in a few days. Figured I would change out the fluids before I stored it. What should I do with the fuel in the tank? What batter tender do you recommend? Anything else I should be doing?

Links would be helpful. Any suggestions will be given a chance.

Thanks!
Move farther south to enjoy all season riding and golf.

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:14 AM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DougYITBOS
I don't have answer for you - but I'll be watching intently as others chime in.
Wanted to say hello though as I'm in Indiana too.
I'm on the North side of the Indianapolis area - you?
I too am on the northside. I work at 96th and keystone and live in the Lebanon area. Where abouts are you? Carmel, Fishers area?

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:33 AM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

I live near 96th & Allisonville.
Work Downtown.
Shoot me a PM - maybe we can grab coffee and ride a bit.

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:50 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master

Originally Posted by FireNightster
I'm in Iowa so in the same boat as you for winter - hate it. This what i did winterizing my R6 before i got my harley, and it worked well.

1. Change the oil
2. Fill tank with fuel and add a stabilizer, i use Stabil. Let it run awhile to circulate
3. I pull the battery and bring it inside. Put on a battery tender, Battery Tender Junior by Deltran is a nice one.
4. Throw a cover on and say your goodbyes

I'm sure others have good ideas, but thats a good start
I'm in the Midwest too, and do pretty much the same thing. I try to make sure and find some non-ethanol gas for storage.

As far as the battery, last year I just left it in the bike, and use this: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...l#.UEI8LpbifAE
It came with ring connectors that I just left on the battery and a quick connect end that I can pull from under the seat and plug it in, I use it any time the battery is going to sit for a few days without riding.

Old 09-01-2012 | 12:19 PM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser

Well I just bought the 'Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger' off of Amazon. Waiting on my maintenance guide....I hate thinking about winter, but I know if I don't think about it, it will be here before I know it.

DougYITBOS...I am not sure how to PM or maybe I can't yet.

Old 09-01-2012 | 12:35 PM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

When I get back to a real computer I'll try to PM you.

Quick Reply: Winterization