Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterization

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012 | 08:44 AM
IronMan69
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Are you drunk or just illiterate?

Many many moons ago my dad used to winterize the boats by pouring Marvel Mystery Oil into the carbs until the engine died. Come Spring, change the plugs and fire it up...EPA be damned. This was at Star Island Yacht Club in NY. Now a boat is different than a bike, of course, but I wonder how that would work?

To winterize my bike I just put the windshield on it.
EXCUSE ME DONT CALL SOMEONE IDIOT OR ILLITERATE WHO YOU DONT EVEN KNOW. WE'RE HERE TO SHARE EXPERIENCED NOT HERE TO BE GURU OR WITH SMART *SS.

YOU NEED TO WINTERIZED IF YOU HAVE OLDER BIKE MAYBE OPTIONAL OR NOT NECESSARY IF YOU HAVE NEWER BIKE.

I LIVE IN CHICAGO FOR 23 YRS. AND I OWNED COUPLE HONDA SHADOWs, 5 EACH YEAR BEFORE MY FIRST HARLEY AND NEVER WINTERIZED MY BIKE ONLY BATTERY TENDER HOOK UP ON MY BIKE FOR ENTIRE WINTER...AND ALWAYS CHANGE OIL BEFORE I USED. I NEVER HAD PROBLEM STARTING UP MY BIKE EVERY SPRING...NEVER HAD PROBLEM EVER.

SO TELL ME IM DOING IT WRONG...IF MY BIKE HAS NO PROBLEM FOR DOING THIS EVERY WINTER.

WINTERIZATION IS ONLY FOR OLDER ENGINE LIKE YOUR DADA...

Old 09-02-2012 | 10:16 AM
J.R. White
|
Cruiser

Ironman69....I'm not going to tell you that you are an idiot...and if it works for you that is great. Everything I have read says it is not a great idea because it CAN add moisture to your fluids. Nothing has said it DEFINITELY will...so if it works for you keep doing what you are doing.

Sounds like you may have a heated garage....I unfortunately do not. When it get really cold outside I will smoke in my garage instead of outside...when I do that I have a propane top hat I will use to warm up the garage and crack the garage door to prevent CO2 build up. But that is usually only 15 minutes every couple of hours so it changes temp quite often.

While I appreciate your advice I think I am going to do a little more than that. Thank you for your opinion.

Old 09-02-2012 | 11:04 AM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

The water is a bi-product of the combustion process of hydrocarbons. It definitely happens, simple chemistry. The engine needs to reach a temperature to boil the moisture off, and it takes time as well. This happens in the Summer as well as Winter, but the cold makes it worse. Once the oil is changed there is no reason to start it again until you are ready for a long ride.

Last edited by CanuckSporty; 09-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2012 | 11:53 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

winterization....put into garage.... that was easy lol

Old 09-02-2012 | 11:54 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IronMan69
EXCUSE ME DONT CALL SOMEONE IDIOT OR ILLITERATE WHO YOU DONT EVEN KNOW. WE'RE HERE TO SHARE EXPERIENCED NOT HERE TO BE GURU OR WITH SMART *SS.

YOU NEED TO WINTERIZED IF YOU HAVE OLDER BIKE MAYBE OPTIONAL OR NOT NECESSARY IF YOU HAVE NEWER BIKE.

I LIVE IN CHICAGO FOR 23 YRS. AND I OWNED COUPLE HONDA SHADOWs, 5 EACH YEAR BEFORE MY FIRST HARLEY AND NEVER WINTERIZED MY BIKE ONLY BATTERY TENDER HOOK UP ON MY BIKE FOR ENTIRE WINTER...AND ALWAYS CHANGE OIL BEFORE I USED. I NEVER HAD PROBLEM STARTING UP MY BIKE EVERY SPRING...NEVER HAD PROBLEM EVER.

SO TELL ME IM DOING IT WRONG...IF MY BIKE HAS NO PROBLEM FOR DOING THIS EVERY WINTER.

WINTERIZATION IS ONLY FOR OLDER ENGINE LIKE YOUR DADA...
Dont mess with my dada you blubber but

Old 09-02-2012 | 12:18 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Thorshammer
Where in Florida are you Wakko ? Down here we winterize by wearing a jacket.
I'm down in Delray. I get cold easily (I like heat!) so I use the windshield and multiple layers of clothing to keep warm. People make fun of me that I think I can build snowmen in 50 degree weather.