Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterization

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012 | 06:12 PM
Brion B
Road Captain

I plan on moving to Florida in two years and that should end winterizing a bike for me.

Old 09-01-2012 | 07:08 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master

Originally Posted by IronMan69
you will be fine if you have it in your garage...you dont have to do anything, forget all those recommended from previous thread. what i recommend, thing that you have to do is dont forget to warm up your bike 3 times a week for about 10-15 minutes open your garage door that will work. I live in Chicago we have the same season...and that's the only thing i do every winter and got no problem but i make sure i change oil before i use my bike on the spring and summer...
I don't think that's necessary, if it was, then everyone would be starting their mowers and lawn tractors 3 times a week too. I've always let 'em sit over the winter, but make sure that first time starting in the Spring is for a good 45 minutes at least. Starting during the Winter, those hot/cold cycles are just asking for condensation, plus 10-15 minutes idling during the dead of winter, probably isn't enough to burn off everything. Plus, if you are changing fluids right away in the Spring, that means you are storing with dirty oil?

Old 09-01-2012 | 09:42 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Keep battery on tender, full tank of gas with seafoam, tires on wood, cover it, done.

I realized the temperate you store the bike at doesn't matter. I lived in the Dakotas for 4 years where it got down to -30° regularly and my bike never had any problems come spring time.

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:05 PM
BaldHOG1222
Tourer

Battery Tender Jr. is what I use. I plug my bike in even if it's sitting over night. It should come with a quick connect. You'll be happy with it.....just my $0.02 worth on the battery tender.

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:16 PM
K9Tamer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by J.R. White
to anyone that can do it. I would freeze my ***** off. I wish I had the ability. Also, freeking scared of black ice. My luck I would hit a patch and die.

Same here. I'd love to ride the bike year round but something about -20 and all that snow seems to change my mind. That's why I have a dirt bike. When I can't take it any more and I have to go ride I just load up the ol 450 and head to the hills. A few close encounters with frost bite tends get me back home.

Old 09-01-2012 | 10:27 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by J.R. White
to anyone that can do it. I would freeze my ***** off. I wish I had the ability. Also, freeking scared of black ice. My luck I would hit a patch and die.

Not my sexiest outfit for riding... but that's Feb in Buffalo....and ice flows on Lake Erie.

I'm no expert, but I leave it in the garage with a full tank of gas, and as soon as the roads dry off I go and ride. Salt blows. If for some crazy reason I go and ride in it, I try and spray the bike down when I get back and heat the garage with a portable heater until it dries off.

Edit: People are REALLY not looking out for bikes in the middle of winter in winter type states. Heads up x 2 out there.

Last edited by DizWolf; 09-01-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2012 | 11:30 PM
firstrock
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DougYITBOS
I don't have answer for you - but I'll be watching intently as others chime in.
Wanted to say hello though as I'm in Indiana too.
I'm on the North side of the Indianapolis area - you?
I'm on the s. east side of Indy!

Old 09-02-2012 | 01:39 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

well if you think i'm idiot, i think your CRAZY..i SAID DONE this on my bike every winter got no problem on my bike..I have heated garage. I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU LIVE THE SAME STATE WHO GET THIS KIND OF SEASON...YOU NEVER DONE THIS IN YOUR BIKE AND YOU DONT HAVE EXPERIENCED ON IT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....YOU JUST SAYING WHAT YOU READ AND WHAT YOU HEARD...AND TELL ME NOW WHO'S MORON.
Are you drunk or just illiterate?

Many many moons ago my dad used to winterize the boats by pouring Marvel Mystery Oil into the carbs until the engine died. Come Spring, change the plugs and fire it up...EPA be damned. This was at Star Island Yacht Club in NY. Now a boat is different than a bike, of course, but I wonder how that would work?

To winterize my bike I just put the windshield on it.

Old 09-02-2012 | 05:04 AM
Thorshammer
Tourer

Where in Florida are you Wakko ? Down here we winterize by wearing a jacket.

Old 09-02-2012 | 08:14 AM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

well if you think i'm idiot, i think your CRAZY..i SAID DONE this on my bike every winter got no problem on my bike..I have heated garage. I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU LIVE THE SAME STATE WHO GET THIS KIND OF SEASON...YOU NEVER DONE THIS IN YOUR BIKE AND YOU DONT HAVE EXPERIENCED ON IT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....YOU JUST SAYING WHAT YOU READ AND WHAT YOU HEARD...AND TELL ME NOW WHO'S MORON.
I'd like to see what your oil looks like come Spring. It must have a nice milky white color to it with all the moisture in it. You are causing pitting to your internal parts from corrosion, and you may not notice anything wrong yet, but keep it up and you will.

Quick Reply: Winterization