Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid her down Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
AFSFK
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laid her down Tuesday

[Made this post on another forum, figured I could post it here too]

Bike went from shiny to

this morning on my way to work.

Got about 3/4 of the way to work and then it started to rain. Driving a long, la la la la la, van in front of me slams on the brakes, I probably grab too much front. Had no where to swerve off too. Then all of the sudden the bike is sideways and I'm sliding toward the back of the van and my bike is sliding into the right lane.

I finally stop, get up quick, yank off my helmet cause I'm pissed and throw it into the grass on the right and pick up my bike and move it out of the right lane. Stand my bike up and the person behind the person behind me ended up rear ending her. The guy in the van runs up and asks if I'm ok, I say yeah, ask if I hit his van, he says no, he runs back to his van and drives off.

Lady behind me calls the cops, they show up, ask questions, I get charged with nothing, don't know about them. Firemen get there, ask if I'm ok. I sign paperwork saying I don't need to go to the dr. They ask me about the van that drove away, **** if i know. I call the towing company cause I have no tools to fix my bike. They say it'll be an hour.

Wait for about twenty minutes, random guy pulls up and asks whats wrong. Yada yada yada he pulls out some tools from his truck, attaches my shifter lever thing to my shift peg, says have a good one and drives away. I call out from work and drive home slowly. Random guy also saved me $110.

Anyway, I got around to taking the mounting bracket off the left side and
I'm guessing it shouldn't look like this?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:45 PM
J.R. White
Cruiser

Holy S&%t brother. That is some scary stuff. I assume you are ok? I know you didn't go to the dr. from the story, but road rash or anything?

The most important thing...not matter what...is you are ok. Bikes can be repaired or replaced...people can't.

The guy in the van is a obviously a self obsorbed ***. If it would have been me in the van I would have waited around to make sure everyone and everything was ok. Must have had warrants or no DL.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM
AFSFK
4th Gear

Originally Posted by J.R. White
Holy S&%t brother. That is some scary stuff. I assume you are ok? I know you didn't go to the dr. from the story, but road rash or anything?

The most important thing...not matter what...is you are ok. Bikes can be repaired or replaced...people can't.

The guy in the van is a obviously a self obsorbed ***. If it would have been me in the van I would have waited around to make sure everyone and everything was ok. Must have had warrants or no DL.
I went to the dr after I got the bike home. Everything checked out fine. I'm guessing either that or he was illegal.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM
daniel317
Novice

Well.....I can understand you and you obvously were moving around and after going down that is all that matters. The bike is an after thought. Hope you learned something that may save your life in the future.

PEACE

Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you are OK but you didn't "laid her down" - you crashed.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 08-31-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sux. Glad you weren't hurt. Hopefully you've learned something from from the experience.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
J.R. White
Cruiser

Well I am glad you are ok. That is the most important to me like I said before. Looks like most of the damage is cosmetic and I am sure you can find some people on the classifieds that are selling the parts you need for cheap!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
AFSFK
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Hope you are OK but you didn't "laid her down" - you crashed.
potato potatoe

Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I treat rain riding in the same aspect as if i was on ice and treat every corner as a slick spot. Bikes simply don't stop well on wet oil ie contaminated surfaces. I ride in the rain but that doesn't mean i like it lol.. Glad your ok!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Thorshammer
Tourer

Glad you are OK and your bike repairable. You can add this riding experience to your skill set and it may save your life in the future. Keep us posted on your repairs and maybe someone will be able to hook you up in some way.

Quick Reply: Laid her down Tuesday