Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

miles per tank on seventy two

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 AM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
As long as you are not parking the bike right after you fill up, here is a little trick to get a few more miles out of these small tanks.

Park at a pump where your front wheel is lower than you back wheel (downhill), you will get more gas into the tank. Also, stand the bike upright (instead of on the jiffy stand) when you get near the top, you will get a little more in.
12" shocks and dropping the forks 1" and you don't have to do this routine......

Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM
thecolor
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I consistently get 70, I've reached 75 once and 73.3 sputtered out on the freeway.

I do half city and half freeway, commuting 16.6 miles one way and same back (up to 17) for work.

my idiot light comes on 'round 53-55.

Seattle driving, Seattle weather, crap crap crap. 'less driving in the snow or sand and mud, you probably can't do much worse.

I fill up no further than 70(ish).

On the POS, I have two La Rosa La Fondina bags on the sides with two 30oz cans for emergency. Together they will get me approx 16 miles (at a quarter of a tank each.) Granted I only fill them on a longer haul so not to spoil the fuel.

Hope that helps.

Shots for a visual on the emergency setup

Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you are not parking the bike right after you fill up, here is a little trick to get a few more miles out of these small tanks.

Park at a pump where your front wheel is lower than you back wheel (downhill), you will get more gas into the tank. Also, stand the bike upright (instead of on the jiffy stand) when you get near the top, you will get a little more in.
I thought most all gas stations had to have the pad where the pumps are to be level or minimum sloping toward a drain setup to hold spilled fuel.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, and then when you pull up on level ground the gas will swish around and dump in the overflow line and pour out the vent tube. You might get more in the tank, but unless your riding downhill the entire time it's a waste of money.

Haha, been there... done that.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Most stations have a slight slope.

I have been filling my tanks like this for years. Never had any gas spill out the overflow line.

I am not suggesting filling above the vent. But next time you have your bike on the jiffy stand, take a look. The top front right of the tank is much higher than the plate in the filler neck. By standing it upright you will get more in it. By being on a slight downslope (if there is one) you will get more in it.

It will not leak....Unless you immediately park it in the sun or on a hot day and the gas expands...which is why I said, "as long as you're not parking it right away".

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 AM
khui
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most stations have a slight slope.

I have been filling my tanks like this for years. Never had any gas spill out the overflow line.

I am not suggesting filling above the vent. But next time you have your bike on the jiffy stand, take a look. The top front right of the tank is much higher than the plate in the filler neck. By standing it upright you will get more in it. By being on a slight downslope (if there is one) you will get more in it.

It will not leak....Unless you immediately park it in the sun or on a hot day and the gas expands...which is why I said, "as long as you're not parking it right away".
thats a cool tip! I'll keep that in mind. thx kevin!

(there's a lot of 72 threads coming up lately...right on, the bikes picking up popularity!)

k.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM
wattsmichael
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the excellent HD accessory speedo/tach....it required fuel sensor mounting in tank but it has something like 600 color combinations on lighting...trip computer...miles to empty...gear indicator...clock...dual tripmeter...etc,....however, still no reserve.

I now have some interesting memories from being in rural Arkansas, plowed fields for as far as the eye can see on both sides of two lane road...tank dry...96 miles exactly. The reminder lights start coming on at about 60 miles...then remaining miles to empty starts counting down. Then near the end a "Low range" statement starts flashing...then the stout motor bucks and snorts for a mile or so....side to side turning bars gets another couple hundred feet...then completely dry tank.

However, the biking brotherhood comes thru a very short time later and a farmer gives me gas to fill tank and refuses to take any money. He said he rides and has had t happen to him and was happy to help me out. He saved me a lot of time and exercise and I will repay him by helping others out in future like he did. Pass it on as they say.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM
mikek87
Tourer

I love my custom. 4.5 gal tank is nice. Never less then 180. And it looks like a bigger bike speshaly since the batwing fairing.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Short mileage between fills shouldn't be a problem for your GF tho...she'll need to tinkle & re-apply make-up every hour or so anyway...

Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Erik Willke
Stage IV

I have a 2012 72 that has a 4.5 gallon tank. My reserve light comes on at about 90 miles and I typically get about 35-38 mpg (I weigh 280 lbs) so I can usually push it to 120.

Quick Reply: miles per tank on seventy two