Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012 | 09:24 PM
mooseye
Tourer

Originally Posted by MrPeepers
What's with these Sears guys - $6 for a single torx?

You can get a set of 13 including T27 for $16

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10071A-P.../dp/B000J0TF6G

And, by the way, this might be useful for identifying/ordering gaskets & seals which they recommend you change

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc
This is the second place today I have seen this parts finder that does not seem to include Sportsters. Whats up with that?

Old 09-03-2012 | 12:11 AM
MrPeepers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mooseye
This is the second place today I have seen this parts finder that does not seem to include Sportsters. Whats up with that?
My 2012 Sportster is in there... the whole Sportster line

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....USTOM-%28CT%29

And so are other model years... I checked 2010, 2011

Old 09-03-2012 | 09:48 AM
mooseye
Tourer

My 2012 Sportster is in there... the whole Sportster line

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....USTOM-%28CT%29

And so are other model years... I checked 2010, 2011
Oh, sorry, I just checked for my '96 and there are no xl's listed.

Old 09-03-2012 | 10:09 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master

What's with these Sears guys - $6 for a single torx?

You can get a set of 13 including T27 for $16

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10071A-P.../dp/B000J0TF6G
Quality might play a part here. Also, typically you save when you buy a set.
Problem is, if you already have all the other sizes, you might still come up ahead if you buy just what you are missing.

Old 09-03-2012 | 10:46 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by HotIceHD
Problem is, if you already have all the other sizes, you might still come up ahead if you buy just what you are missing.
+1 - Torx bits are one tool that you don't want to scrimp on quality wise. The cheaper ones are typically made from a softer metal and you'll wind up with stripped bits and screw heads.

Old 09-03-2012 | 11:19 AM
mooseye
Tourer

I read some where that HD has switch to yet another fastener type called torx+ which can be removed with the old style torx drivers but you run a greater risk of strip out. I have not seen the torx+ drivers anywhere. I haven't checked with the HD shop where, if they have them I am sure would be made of gold or so priced.
They are supposed to have a greater land area at the tips of the "star" to increase torque transfer and reduce stripping.
Anyone know anything about them?

Old 09-03-2012 | 11:46 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by mooseye
I read some where that HD has switch to yet another fastener type called torx+ which can be removed with the old style torx drivers but you run a greater risk of strip out. I have not seen the torx+ drivers anywhere. I haven't checked with the HD shop where, if they have them I am sure would be made of gold or so priced.
They are supposed to have a greater land area at the tips of the "star" to increase torque transfer and reduce stripping.
Anyone know anything about them?
I've seen that rumor posted here a dozen or so times over the last 5 years, but I've yet to see one on a Harley, or seen anyone here report it as fact in terms of on what model and where the Torx+ were being used.

Old 09-03-2012 | 11:48 AM
MrPeepers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HotIceHD
The challenge is, when I buy a set, what am I missing?

I'd really like to see a list of fasteners on a Harley. Anyone got one?

The service manual has torque specs for just about every fastener. But it doesn't say what that fastener is. Would be nice, if someone was going to be a DIY, if we had a inventory of the fasteners. Harley should provide that - they show me every part int the "parts finder" - just tell me that that inspection cover fastener is a Torx T27. Then I have my "shopping list" for DIY tools.

Old 09-03-2012 | 12:52 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cHarley
I've seen that rumor posted here a dozen or so times over the last 5 years, but I've yet to see one on a Harley, or seen anyone here report it as fact in terms of on what model and where the Torx+ were being used.
Ditto. I think for a lot of people that swear Harley uses Torx+ they have stripped the bolt and the Torx+ fits better since the individual gears on it is rounder and thicker.

I have yet to see Torx+ on a stock bike but then I don't work on too many bikes.

On a side note, after buying a metric bike and being able to work on it with just a single metric set of sockets, I hate how Harley switches between SAE and Metric and then on some parts like the front calipers uses 12 point bolts. Seriously pisses me off working on the Sporty now having to go back and forth.

Old 09-03-2012 | 01:10 PM
mooseye
Tourer

Originally Posted by jbyun

On a side note, after buying a metric bike and being able to work on it with just a single metric set of sockets, I hate how Harley switches between SAE and Metric and then on some parts like the front calipers uses 12 point bolts. Seriously pisses me off working on the Sporty now having to go back and forth.
Amen to that!
I would like to see a list of all the different type of fasteners.
I think it would probably run the gamut of all the bolt/screws in existence:sae, metric, torx, allen, phillips, flat, and on and on...
Oh well, I guess thats what makes it a HD>Hard to Diy.
Even though, they are not that hard to work on, just hard to have all the correct tools.

PS I hope they never switch the intake allens to torx. It would be hard to saw the end off a torx and have enough left of the star to use.

Last edited by mooseye; 09-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans Oil