Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Tripper

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Riven02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Tripper

The wife and I have some long multi day trips planned for the sportster. So I am trying to bump the comfort up a couple notches. I have replaced the shocks, that was a big help, but i also want to replace the seat. I was looking to get a Mustang vintage solo and passenger pillon, but this is going to force me to take the pillon off and put it back on lot. (I hate the looks of it)
I don't mind the looks of the Tripper passenger seat though. Does anyone have one and can comment on the passenger comfort? I know it won't be as good but is it close?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by Riven02
The wife and I have some long multi day trips planned for the sportster. So I am trying to bump the comfort up a couple notches. I have replaced the shocks, that was a big help, but i also want to replace the seat. I was looking to get a Mustang vintage solo and passenger pillon, but this is going to force me to take the pillon off and put it back on lot. (I hate the looks of it)
I don't mind the looks of the Tripper passenger seat though. Does anyone have one and can comment on the passenger comfort? I know it won't be as good but is it close?
I've read that the Day Tripper isn't as comfortable as the Vintage Solo.
Just recently after a recent 200 mile jaunt to the lower keys I decided to do myself a favor and buy a Mustang Vintage Solo with pilion. My Le Pera Bare Bones was unbearable after the first 80 miles or so and I swore I'd never be that uncomfortable on my bike again.

I'm with you on the looks of the seat. I hate the way it looks with the pilion and I'm really not crazy about the looks of the solo seat either compared to my Le Pera Bare Bones.
The pilion seat attaches quite easily and it doesn't take much more than a minute to attach or remove. I really like being able to switch from a solo set up into a 2 up in no time.

I'm amazed at just how comfortable these Mustang seats are and my girlfriend is very pleased with the pilion seat. I'm keeping my Bare Bones and using it around town as it is a great looking seat, but I'm not putting on any serious miles without my Mustang.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the solo Tripper. It's comfortable and looks great on the bike. I couldn't see the passenger pad being comfortable though.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Do you slide off the back with the Tripper? I have a Vintage Solo and a LePera Bare Bones Solo. I can't use the Bare Bones as I am constantly sliding backwards.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I have the Tripper but no experience with two-up riding. For me it is just there in case of the rare event that I need to give someone a ride. Its also a place to mount my tail pack.

The seat is very comfortable for me and I have no regrets. It looks and rides great; 500% improvement of the stock seat. I doubt a passenger would find it comfortable for more than half an hour of riding though.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

thanks for the info. sounds like i need to stick with the vintage solo and pillon.

Do you know if the wide pillon can be used with the standard vintage solo seat?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
Do you slide off the back with the Tripper? I have a Vintage Solo and a LePera Bare Bones Solo. I can't use the Bare Bones as I am constantly sliding backwards.
In the 1 year that I've used it, Never. It must be made out of synthetic leather, because it has almost a tacky feeling to it that keeps your from sliding.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by Riven02
thanks for the info. sounds like i need to stick with the vintage solo and pillon.

Do you know if the wide pillon can be used with the standard vintage solo seat?
Great question. I checked Mustang's site and the wide vintage rear seat is a listed option for the Vintage Solo.
I wish I'd thought of that!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 AM
steveb625
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The pillion comes off one screw. Easy peasy. I have a wide pillion with vintage solo, works perfectly! Generally run as solo setup.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

that's what Im going to do then. vintage front with wide pillon

thanks

Quick Reply: Mustang Tripper