Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 sportster, led signals installed, lights not flashing/blinking, on steady

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
rabcustomsporty
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 sportster, led signals installed, lights not flashing/blinking, on steady

so, my problem is pretty much listed in the title.. i removed the old tattered and cracked stock lights and got the drag specialties LED turn signal kit.. found some great help previously on this site and figured i might as well join up..

with the lights connected and the left signal button held in, the bulbs light up solid, vice versa for the right.. i'm thinking i need a resistor pack or equalizer installed..

contaced the local dealer, and they want 132 bucks for the badlands turn signal equalizer.. which i found online for 60-70 bucks.. and according to the descriptions i've found online this equalizer won't work on models pre 1999..

i'm hoping for cheaper ways to fix this problem.. there are cheaper simple load eaqualizers online but i'm not sure what to do..

i just spent money on lights and a carb rebuild.. i do not want to spend another 150..

any help would be great.. my father is leaving town in a couple days and we had planned on a ride, i would like to get the lights working as i have been scrambling to get the carb rebuilt, oil changed, battery installed and now this light problem..

again, thank you in advance to all who reply..

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The problem is that your blinker unit is designed to work with bulbs and LEDs won't work with it, so you are quite right. I have a Badlands unit on my bike and the LEDs work fine. My Glide also has hazards and they work as well.

I'm afraid you should have looked into this before changing your lights! There is plenty in here and all over the internet about the 'problem'.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
rabcustomsporty
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up thank you

i looked into the lights before going to the dealer, wasn't looking at led's then got talked into them. when i asked if they were a quick simple stock replacement they agreed it was.. i called back after finding out and they offered me a discount on next parts i buy, because they missed the fact i needed the equalizer..

i found a new solution, which is cheaper, and doesn't have the same benefits as the badlands or other modules but still gets the lights to flash.. i picked up two simple load equalizers, and a flasher relay that wont stop flashing even if there's a reduction in load..

thank you grbrown for your reply.