Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
zookee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Harley Mufflers

I have a 2013 XL1200C ordered, that will arrive on the 18th of September. Though I have had 9 bikes in 43 years the last Harley I had was back in the late 70’s. I’m replacing my 2012 Triumph America that was totaled in July. It’s my understanding that all Harleys are shipped with out the recognizable Harley sounding mufflers, because they have to meet EPA emission requirements prior to leaving the factory. If this is true or not I don’t know. I don’t understand how everyone puts after market pipes on and gets their bikes inspected then. Be that as mit may. Can anyone recommend a set of pipes to get that true Harley sound on my new Harley?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
robosmurf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still like my slip-ons, they give a good sound without the ear shattering crack of drag pipes. Best bet is to go to a show or ride with some buddies that have different exhausts on their bikes.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The "Harley sound" is a result of the engine's shared crankpin design and the firing order. The mufflers have almost nothing to do with it.

The factory mufflers are quieter than most aftermarket mufflers but will still have the same "lumpy" sound.

Most people replace the mufflers not as much for sound (though some do like the increased volume) as for performance. Free-er flowing mufflers and a less restrictive air cleaner (along with the required EFI re-map for those parts) can give an owner a meaningful performance increase.

Most of the reason that the new bikes don't have quite the same idle sound is because the current generation of bikes idle at a higher engine speed (1,000 RPM) and have superior fueling. Since the EFI bikes don't have the same occasional misfire at idle that the old carbed shovelhead engines had they sound a little different.

Still, even with factory pipes and factory settings it should still sound like a Harley. There's really no way to hide the fact that it's a 45-degree shared-crankpin engine.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2010 still has factory pipes (for another week or two anyway) and they sound better than they did when they were new.

They sound a bit better once they are broken in or broken loose or something. But the stock pipes are very restrictive and you'll get more volume with different pipes for sure.

Zenmervolt speaks the truth with all that he said. I'm no expert but I've picked up on things the past year or so of reading this forum and watching countless youtube videos.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
South JerseyJoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 custom still has factory pipes/mufflers and even though its not "loud" , everyone knows its a harley when I ride down the street. No mistaking the hd sound regardless how loud it is. Have fun with your new ride

Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought my bike with stock exhaust and was embarrassed to start it with people around. It was as quiet as a civic hybrid. I knocked the baffles out immediately and it was a huge improvement, but the tone sucked. I think any after market pipes or slipons you buy will give you a better tone and volume.. the thing you need to be careful about is getting something like short shots that many deem too loud (I love them). Also, try to compare some dyno sheets for different pipes before you make your choice, some pipes (like short shots) don't really perform that well (I still love them).

Felt like I had to chime in because in my opinion you can't call it the "harley sound" if it's as quiet as a volkswagen. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I've got the SE slipons, made my bike sound so much better and with the SE aircleaner and dynojet carb kit, much more power to boot.

John

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a set of black ceramic rinehart slip ons with silver tips if anyone is interested. They'll get you a much nicer tone than the stock mufflers.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to do some research on You tube, there are tons of after-market slip-ons and such available. Any of them sound better than stock and whatever you choose will produce a great "Harley" sound - just a matter of how loud you want it really. Performance varies depending on what else you do to the bike. Listen to different exhaust sounds on the web, talk to people, eventually you'll decide on what YOU want.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not a fan of slip on's, but if you want to go that route then stay away from the SE slip on's and they are about 1 notch louder than stock. My bike had them when I got it and hated them from day one, but I am a open pipe guy. The 2008 1200C I had last year had Rush slip on's on it when I got it and they did nto sound bad for slip on's and looked nice for a slip on. Youtube is not bad for hearing differant pipes, but a bike night is the best place if you can get to one. Nothing beats hereing them in person.

Quick Reply: Harley Mufflers