Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "swing arm" ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
RONLAJ2747
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a "swing arm" ?

Looking to buy a Sportster (my first bike); and am trying to get educated as to what the various accessories are on the bikes I'm looking to buy.

Would greatly appreciate a guiding hand on terminology, like what is a SWING ARM, and what is it's purpose. Thank you all in advance.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the tuning fork looking thing that holds the rear wheel. It is connected to the frame at a lower pivot point and kept in place by your rear shocks.

If you are looking at a used bike and they are stating that they have an aftermarket swingarm, it is most likely designed to allow a wider tire, lengthened for more stability and traction while drag racing, or both.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 08-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RONLAJ2747
Looking to buy a Sportster (my first bike); and am trying to get educated as to what the various accessories are on the bikes I'm looking to buy.

Would greatly appreciate a guiding hand on terminology, like what is a SWING ARM, and what is it's purpose. Thank you all in advance.
it was a dance move from the zoot suit era, mainly....
though I think they named a motorcycle part after it

Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG!!!!!! this site is getting worse by the day. It's just crazy how many people are getting bikes and know nothing about them or how to ride. i guess i'm lucky as i grew up on bikes and knew how to ride well before I ever got my first street bike. I'm not trying to be mean, but when I see a post like this I just see bad news wrote all over it.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
OMG!!!!!! this site is getting worse by the day. It's just crazy how many people are getting bikes and know nothing about them or how to ride. i guess i'm lucky as i grew up on bikes and knew how to ride well before I ever got my first street bike. I'm not trying to be mean, but when I see a post like this I just see bad news wrote all over it.
So if you don't know much about motorcycles it's better not to ask questions and learn? just remain ignorant for the rest of your life?
Remember there was a time when you too didn't know what a swingarm was.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
So if you don't know much about motorcycles it's better not to ask questions and learn? just remain ignorant for the rest of your life?
Generally I agree, "there's no such thing as a stupid question" and that's what forums are here for.
On the other hand, sometimes I have to wonder if there's still people out there that have yet to hear about Google, or is it just a new Spoon-fed generation thing.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not being a smartass: Google swingarm swing arm.... click "images" and scan the pics and see some examples. Then click on "web" and read up on some links. Kind of "eyes on"..... And then cruise back and ask away. This way when someone gives a hand, you will already be a bit more versed and know what they are helping you with. Hope this helps some. Cheers and good luck!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Thank god you were born knowing everything. If you don't like people asking questions about motorcycles, perhaps a website designed for people to ask questions about motorcycles is not the best place for you.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Heh, I remember when I was little once asking my father where the gasoline kept going because I saw him put it into the car all the time but it never seemed to leak out.

You're exactly right; we all start from zero at some point and it's better to ask than to never know. On the other hand, as cHarley pointed out, Google is a wonderful tool for a lot of these sorts of questions. Still, a Google search probably wouldn't have given the extra information about reasons for an aftermarket swingarm as succinctly and swiftly as UFO did in the second post.

Quick Reply: What is a "swing arm" ?