Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "swing arm" ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Heh, I remember when I was little once asking my father where the gasoline kept going because I saw him put it into the car all the time but it never seemed to leak out.

You're exactly right; we all start from zero at some point and it's better to ask than to never know. On the other hand, as cHarley pointed out, Google is a wonderful tool for a lot of these sorts of questions. Still, a Google search probably wouldn't have given the extra information about reasons for an aftermarket swingarm as succinctly and swiftly as UFO did in the second post.

Yes, we all start out naked and ignorant: BUT what the hell would you/they do if there was no frikkin' GOOGLE or other search engines ???? Actually go talk to or ask someone ??? Just to qualify that remark, though, I wish I had had access to this kind of info in the '70s.
Carry on.....

Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
Yes, we all start out naked and ignorant: BUT what the hell would you/they do if there was no frikkin' GOOGLE or other search engines ???? Actually go talk to or ask someone ??? Just to qualify that remark, though, I wish I had had access to this kind of info in the '70s.
Carry on.....
Without Google I'd learn a hell of a lot more slowly, that's for sure. And I'd likely have never learned about the TSB for my old Honda to replace the needles in the CV carbs.

It's really quite incredible how easy it is to get information these days. I love it. Projects I never could have tackled before now seem easy because I can find that one guy in Florida who has the part I need and will ship it to me.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM
RONLAJ2747
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TO: XL 50#674
I'm a 75+ year old man with a bucket list, and a new Sportster
is at the top of that list. Also, and near the top of my list is to request information from well informed riders who "know" what their talking about. That's just about everybody that answered my question, and respectfully so, except for you. I regret your attitude and arrogance....too bad for you.,but I'm uplifted by the majority that appears to see right through you. Some day you may be stranded on the side of the road; and I'll stop; give you a hand; and "swing-lift" your smart little butt right up and onto my rear seat. Have a nice day "lucky".
To all other responders, thank you sincerely for your courtesy and patience with my inquiry.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right on man! Congrats on the new whip. Take it slow, get used to the bike, and enjoy! I don't know your riding level but a riders course is always a healthy refresher and a great way to exchange info w local riders. Cheers.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
zookee
Intermediate
Cool Bad attitude

Originally Posted by cHarley
Generally I agree, "there's no such thing as a stupid question" and that's what forums are here for.
On the other hand, sometimes I have to wonder if there's still people out there that have yet to hear about Google, or is it just a new Spoon-fed generation thing.
Why do you think there are these forums. For people who know it all to teach us who know nothing. If someone dosn't want to help another here they shouldn't be here.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zookee
Why do you think there are these forums. For people who know it all to teach us who know nothing. If someone dosn't want to help another here they shouldn't be here.

Only b'cus you're using cHarley's quote I will say don't bust his *****...I have found him to be quite helpful on here.

To your main point, this is a forum for discussion and a place to learn info and get ideas .... so rather than say folks don't belong if they do not want to be helpful I would instead say to those who offer no constructive support to the thread to simply hit their BACK button on the browser and find another thread they can be supportive of.

It's fine to have a different opinion and even to discuss your points, but there is no need to be ignorant in the process as the poster in this thread was earlier.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Ace Hanlon
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I am one who has learned a lot from forums. I remember when Sportster.org was the only game in town for Sporty info. Before that you had to ask either someone you knew or go to a garage. I still learn everyday. I've also enjoyed trying to help others. AA sort of pay-it-forward thing from all that I've learned through the years.

That said, I've always tried to do my own searching for the information I need Forst before asking. This way I can narrow down the questions I have or have outright found the asnwer I needed.

I am more willing to help someone I knew has tried to do their own research first. That means, to me, they don't mind doing a little work on their own. Too many today feel they are entitled and don't think they have to work for anything anymore. How many times have we seen someone post a question that if they had even scrolled down the page would have had an entire thread full of info to read. I've actually seen some people say they're TOO busy to read through a thread. Like all of us members aren't busy and are here just to serve their instant needs!

The OP had a question that I don't normally see. That's a plus. I do think that the OP could have found a basic answer to his initial question and maybe could have asked follOw up questions. Never no mind, the OP got his answer. I guess in a world of instant gratification, that's all that matters anymore?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM
zookee
Intermediate
Default Walk in someone else's shoes

Originally Posted by madchemist24
Only b'cus you're using cHarley's quote I will say don't bust his *****...I have found him to be quite helpful on here.

To your main point, this is a forum for discussion and a place to learn info and get ideas .... so rather than say folks don't belong if they do not want to be helpful I would instead say to those who offer no constructive support to the thread to simply hit their BACK button on the browser and find another thread they can be supportive of.

It's fine to have a different opinion and even to discuss your points, but there is no need to be ignorant in the process as the poster in this thread was earlier.
What you say may be true. But, he doesn’t have to be rude. If anything he shouldn’t have said anything. He had no positive input for the guy. So why try to humiliate him for asking a question. I’m sure he needed help along the way sometime in his life. I sure some one helped him and did not put him down for trying to learn something. I know we have all been there. I myself didn’t know what a swing arm was and I’ve had 9 different bikes in 43 years. So the guy who answered the question helped me out and probably countless other riders.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zookee
What you say may be true. But, he doesn’t have to be rude. If anything he shouldn’t have said anything. He had no positive input for the guy. So why try to humiliate him for asking a question. I’m sure he needed help along the way sometime in his life. I sure some one helped him and did not put him down for trying to learn something. I know we have all been there. I myself didn’t know what a swing arm was and I’ve had 9 different bikes in 43 years. So the guy who answered the question helped me out and probably countless other riders.
You and I, my friend, are on the same page. We are in agreeance.

Quick Reply: What is a "swing arm" ?