Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking after service, HELP identify

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
dayhunt85
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking after service, HELP identify

I took my bike in for 7500 mile service, 08' 1200XLC. I have only put about 300 miles on since service and I just noticed multiple leaks. I am new to riding, this is my first bike, so I am not familiar with what is touched on each service. Regardless of that, these leaks did not exist prior to the service so I know where they came from and I know they are not good. The attached pic shows both locations. The main focus of the pic is what appears to be an over flow. The top of the case is covered in some lubricant, not sure what it is. I have made a red circle at the bottom of the pic. This plate also has lubricant leaking from it. Please help identify what is leaking and also help inform me before I go back to the shop and start pointing

fingers.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What you circled is the primary chain inspection cover. Is there oil around that cover, as in it is seeping out? There is a rubber gasket behind it that could not be seated right. If I were you, I would wash the bike good, especially around the engine. Then I would ride it for a while and check for leaks.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Wish I could help, I don't seem to have that hose on my bike, if that's a picture of the right side rear cylinder. I just have open space between the rear cylinder and starter on that side.

Looks like a little weepage from the cylinder base gaskets, my front cylinder base gasket does it a bit if it has not been ridden recently, but stops. It's only a tiny bit of accumulation, since the sump should be dry anyway. It looks pretty minor to me, called a "visual oil gauge."

The one on your chrome primary cover is where they check primary chain adjustment and add primary fluid. there are a couple "o" rings on the screws and a rubber seal. Maybe gently tighten them, or remove screws and see if gasket seated correct and both "o" rings are still there.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 08-20-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

x2.....

Originally Posted by sioux565
What you circled is the primary chain inspection cover. Is there oil around that cover, as in it is seeping out? There is a rubber gasket behind it that could not be seated right. If I were you, I would wash the bike good, especially around the engine. Then I would ride it for a while and check for leaks.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Since you had it serviced and so few miles do not waste your time spinning wheels here and getting good answer along with the crazy ones. They probably let oil get on the bottom of motor and now its blowing up and all over. They need to clean it totally off and start it up to ensure it was that or it needs a new gasket that someone forgot to replace when they were changing the fluids. You really need to do it right away since you make no mention of looking under it and they could have forgotten to tighten a drain plug and it could drop a couple quarts driving down the road at 60mph when it finishes falling out. Could get you killed when it goes under rear tire. i have worked on bikes that people have failed to clean up after replacing filter. It runs down for days. Will even get in the outer protective cover over the rubber sheath of the clutch cable that goes by the filter and runs back thru it and ends up at transmission. Makes it look like transmission is leaking back thru cable.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-20-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep,take it back to the dealer right away and let them clean up their mess.Just more sloppy dealer ship work,happens all the time.Much prefer to do my own maintenance work.Gives peace of mind knowing it was done right by someone who cares.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM
dayhunt85
Novice

Well I defiantly care, but I am not sure I can guarantee that it will be done right. I am an electrical guy, and a far cry from a mechanic. I do not have the confidence, knowledge, or necessary tools to work on my own bike at this point.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dayhunt85
Well I defiantly care, but I am not sure I can guarantee that it will be done right. I am an electrical guy, and a far cry from a mechanic. I do not have the confidence, knowledge, or necessary tools to work on my own bike at this point.
I meant the people at the dealership do not seem to care..

Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

it would be good to ride it back to the dealer and take the owner and/or the service manager outside and show them the poor work...express how pissed you are that it was not "professionally" done and then nobody double checked the techs work....after that get on your bike and tell them that they just lost several customers due to their **** poor service....its not hard to do thing right...on a bike it is very very important to make sure fluids are not leaking. this i why i do my own work...pick up a service manual and read the forum....if you have half a brain you can change your oil with no problems...it is not hard and if you dont know how to do it you will be very happy working on your own bike and going over every nut and bolt making sure your bike is safe for the next ride. simple sae wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers is all you need.....you can hit your local sears or lowes and not spend a lot and have what you need.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

also you can pick up a can of HD engine shine for black engines....preferably at another HD dealer....after you clean up the mess spend a few minutes spraying that on and your engine will look soooo much better

Quick Reply: Leaking after service, HELP identify