Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie w/ Sportster Question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Nav
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie w/ Sportster Question....

I'm not sure why you are focusing on the 883 Low. I'm 5'9" and am flat foot and knees bent when standing still on the 1200C. At 5' 10" you will fit any of the Harley's with ease. The 1200 Roadster would be a nice transition bike from the Gixxer. The low and the customs have limited cornering clearance. I came to the Harley off from the less semi sport bike position of a Katana and am happy I made the change. Also, a few buy a Sportster and for whatever reason trade within months for a big twin. You may find a late model used Sportster at a dealer or private sale. If you are new to Harley's be warned the 2003 and earlier Sporties have solid mount engines and will vibrate a fair amount. 2004 and newer Sporties have rubber mounted motors and are relatively "smooth". The downside is the newer Sportsters weigh about 60lbs more than the older models thanks to all of the hardware to rubber mount the motors. These bikes will never deliver the kind of horsepower your Gixxer makes. You will find these bikes many times more comfortable for a passenger than the Gixxer. Good luck in your decision. My 1200C will roll 4500 miles tomorrow on the way to work. I've enjoyed everyone of those miles.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I have to agree with Nav. The XL1200R Roadster sounds like a logical first Harley for you because of its greater ground clearance and wider front tire in handling the "twisties" you are probably used to. I'm 5'10" and the Roadster is very comfortable for my height.

It's also been said many times that the 1200 is always going to depreciate less than the 883, and you'll be used to it within a week - or less. The extra resale value in the larger engine will serve you well when it's time to move up to the big twins. Besides, the difference in torque between the 883 and 1200 is very noticable as well. Like "12Stones" says, "I definitely think the 1200 is the way to go but the price tag is quite different from the 883. Definitely try to get a test ride. As for reliability, HD is just as good, if not better, than all the other makes out there."

Whatever your decision, you can't go wrong with a Sportster - 883 or 1200! Welcome to the Forum, good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Thumper26

Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Young Rydah
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Nav

I'm not sure why you are focusing on the 883 Low. I'm 5'9" and am flat foot and knees bent when standing still on the 1200C. At 5' 10" you will fit any of the Harley's with ease.
To be perfectly honest, I am looking at the 883 Low due to the fact that I was shot and paralyzed in an attempted car-jacking about 5 years ago. By the grace of God I am walking unassisted and all I just can't run or lift my right leg up high due to the weakness still in my leg. Hence another reason why I am getting rid of my crotch rocket. I have to park next to a curb or step just so I can get on my bike. Although I have a very good excuse, it is still embarrassing as hell when I am trying to get on my bike. That is the reason why I am looking at the 883 LOW. If I remember right, seat height is just above 24". My Suzuki is just above 30". Big difference. From what I can see, the 1200 sits a bit higher. Like I said, I would like to have the 1200 but the price is a bit higher as well. I am only 22 and there is plenty of time to always trade up! Nothing is definate yet but both the 1200 and 883 are still on the table!

Thanks guys.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Young Rydah
6th Gear

Update:

Well I just checked, the 1200C is only an inch higher than the 883Low. Wow, it might be worth it to just jump to the 1200 now instead of later. I guess the test ride will tell the tale! Got my appointment scheduled for this Friday!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Young Rydah
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: mikeisglidn

this is just my 2 conts, and you will get a lot of great opinions from these guys, but i started with an 883, after a couple weeks of getting used to riding i did the 1200 conversion. its well worth the money, because of the higher compression ratio of the stock 1200. then i changed the front pully to a 30 tooth pully and now the bike has plenty of guts and it stays right next to any big twin! good luck, and enjoy the harley!
If you don't mind me asking, did you swap motors or did a dealer do it for you? By the way, I bet it is nice riding down near the coast! I am in High Point, NC. I seen the Jacksonville NC and I had to ask. Military town huh? Are you in the service?

Old 08-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Young Rydah,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune[&:] - but I'm GLAD you're still with us! You are right about the heights of the bikes. The XL883L is as low as you can go on a Sportster, the "C" is next, and the Roadster is is the tallest at 26". DO try and RIDE all 3. The Roadster I drive at 5'10" permits me to put my feet down flat on the pavement at a light - no leaning to one side or the other to stay upright, so I know at your height the 26" seat-height would not present a problem in that area.

Comfort (potentially being "bunched up" while you are riding) is another thing to feel out closely. At 5'10" I'm a little concerned for your riding comfort - but only you can tell with the damage you have sustained to your right leg.

I wish you the best of luck in your choice - comfort for you is paramount, and that's something only you can determine. Remember as I stated above, "Whatever your decision, you can't go wrong with a Sportster - 883 or 1200! Welcome to the Forum, good luck, and let us know what you decide!" Hell, anyway you look at, you're gettin' a Harley dude!

Thumper26

Old 08-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Young Rydah
6th Gear

Well, as posted I have an "appointment" on Friday to test a 883 Low and a 1200 out so I will see. I really like the Custom with all the chrome but the price jumps a bit from the 883L to the Custom. Who knows, I may end up with one! Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:42 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

rydah, im retired military. and the conversion [883-1200] is around 450 for jugs and forged pistons, and about the same for labor. with the higher compression, you have the ability to blast past the stock 1200's. also im payin insurance on an 883 which is a little cheaper. dont get me wrong, 1200s are awsome bikes, but this is the way i started and after it was all done, i was glad i went this route. besides if you look at used sportsters you can get an 883 for little of nothing. and gives you plenty of money for all kinds of upgrades. good luck, if your ever in the area drop me a pm and ill give you my phone number!!

Old 08-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Alia1200
Advanced

Rydah,

I'm 5'6" and ride an XLH883 which was stock for the first 4 years and 35,000 miles of its life. It has taken me and my old man (that's what you get for losing your license...) to many places including touring round europe with tent and camping gear; never letting us down.

It has now been converted to a 1200 and the difference in power is immediately noticeable but obviously the height has stayed the same and it is cheaper doing it this way than buying a 1200 outright. Mine is 28" at saddle height so not too different from your crotch rocket...

I would only advise you to be aware of the weight difference (the dry weight of my Sporty is 489lbs) and the size of the fuel tank; Sporty's have comparatively small tanks and are stripped to the bare bones of non-essentials (and apparently a fuel guage is not essential) .

Just so you know - I had a Gixxer 750 before the Sporty and I would never go back to a sports bike!

Hope your test ride goes well and I hope to hear about your progress.

Alia

Old 08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

Ride a 04 1200R and I'm only 5'4" put the Customs shocks on the rear with a lowered seat and can reach the ground flat footed with knees bent, seat height 26". Can't go wrong with any of the Sporty models but I'd go with a rubber mounted engine.

Quick Reply: Newbie w/ Sportster Question....