Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorted the battery!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Let us know what the problem turns out to be...

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
el ricky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelDragger
Why were you reconnecting battery before you shorted it?
Was bike cranking before you accidentally shorted it?
If battery was ok before you shorted it with the wrench it's very likely you damaged(shorted on ore more of the cells). Remove the battery from the bike and then jump start the bike with your truck battery with truck not running being careful to not shorting the jumper cables. If bike starts, remove jumper cables and hopefully the bike will continue to run via the alternator. If all good, buy yourself a new battery.

If the damaged battery is connected to the bike when you try to jump start it, it will draw a lot of current from your jump battery making it impossible to start bike.

If you get bike to run check the voltage output of the alternator by measuring the volts at the cables. If over 13 volts, all is good with stator and regulator.
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated you guys on this thread. I'be been working out of town and just had time this weekend to check out the bike. I tried jumping the bike with my truck straight to the bike battery cables. It still does the same thing. Just clicks. So, no luck with that I guess. A friend is supposed to look at it for me this week. Anyone might know what step to take next? BTW The original battery is not good.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 PM
mooseye
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get around to checking the connections? Battries and starters are temperamental creatures. It never ceases to amaze me that all that amperage will refuse to go thru just a little corrosion or a loose point. Also if you were messing with the battery to start with, you may have pulled a lead enough to dislodge the fastener a little or broken the wire inside the insulation.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
el ricky
Cruiser

Alright guys. After going through the fuses, the relays, wiring and connections. I finally got the bike running again. Turns out it was a bad starter relay and the battery. So I went and bought both the relay and battery, installed them and she started right up. Thanks for all the help and tips. I definetly have learned a lot here.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by el ricky
Alright guys. After going through the fuses, the relays, wiring and connections. I finally got the bike running again. Turns out it was a bad starter relay and the battery. So I went and bought both the relay and battery, installed them and she started right up. Thanks for all the help and tips. I definetly have learned a lot here.
Good deal. Thats how you learn. If we told you exactly what the problem was or what to do you wouldnt have learned as much. Now you can help someone else when this comes up.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
el ricky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by soft 02
Good deal. Thats how you learn. If we told you exactly what the problem was or what to do you wouldnt have learned as much. Now you can help someone else when this comes up.
Exactly how I feel. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Explain how you determined the relay was bad. So I can learn as well
2. How is your regulator doing? I ask this since you did mention you tried jump starting it via your RUNNING truck. If it's ok, would it be safe in saying that your bad starter relay saved your regulator from frying? I thought the over amperage would have cooked that puppy.

3. You never did mention why your were working on the battery when your shorted it!

Last edited by marine_hm@hotmail.com; 09-12-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Digging out my manual now.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
el ricky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by marine_hm@hotmail.com
1. Explain how you determined the relay was bad. So I can learn as well
2. How is your regulator doing? I ask this since you did mention you tried jump starting it via your RUNNING truck. If it's ok, would it be safe in saying that your bad starter relay saved your regulator from frying? I thought the over amperage would have cooked that puppy.

3. You never did mention why your were working on the battery when your shorted it!
Well, I determined that the starter relay was bad when I replaced it and the bike started up. Not trying to be funny or sarcastic but that's the truth. After looking through many similar case scenerios on the forums and other online blogs. I felt pretty sure that if it wasn't the starter relay, that I would at least have a couple of spare relays so when it did go out. I'm not that experienced when it comes to electrical components on a bike or on anything for that matter. So I can say I'm just a beginner. Secondly, I would like to think that the bad relay did save the regulator. If that was the case, then I guess I was lucky on that one. Rode it in to work today and she is running smooth. The reason I was tinkering with the battery to start with was because I had it charging and was putting it back on the bike.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

[quote=el ricky;that one. Rode it in to work today and she is running smooth. The reason I was tinkering with the battery to start with was because I had it charging and was putting it back on the bike.[/quote]

remember buckaroo's, " ground wire OFF first"" "ground wire ON last'