Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM
MrPeepers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.

So yesterday I was riding home at night going 45mph in a 45 mph zone. Some guy pulls out in front of me by blowing a stop sign.

I slam on the brakes The back of the bike fishtails as I pump the back brakes. The front of the bike starts to wobble as I apply the front brake - but I keep control. The guy finally sees me and screeches the wheels to get out to the way. Had he not gotten out of the way I would of hit him going about 20 mph. So I ride the rest of the way home, about 3 miles, thinking how close that was. The Sportster is in the garage and it and me are in one piece.

Just the day before I rode my 2010 Kawasaki Voyager.

I think the Sportster may have saved me. I bought the Sportster because it was easy to ride - compared to a touring bike. The Sportster weights in at about 575 pounds. The Voyager at about 900 pounds.

If everything was equal, I don't think I could of held control of a 900 pound touring bike - of if it would have stopped as quickly.

So maybe the Sportster saved me in this case. Even though the Sportster is often criticized as a small bike (you need a bigger bike) this may an asset rather than a liability. The bike is very maneuverable and stopping distance is short. Stopping distance of 5-10 feet difference may be a big difference when you are facing off against a car.

As a side comment, it seems that wearing a helmet is un-harley like, I was not wearing one that the time. Smashing into a car at 20mph - I wonder what the difference would be - helmet vs no helmet - flying over the handlebar into a car window or over the trunk.

Maybe I got a good warning.

Wonder if you guys wear a helmet - or is that just to un-harley like… and you are willing to take the risk.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you regarding the sportsters agility and nimble nature. Plus, I always wear a helmet. 1/2 in the summer, full face in the colder temps. I'd rather "look funny" than be dead.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you came out ok. I like the maneuverability of sportsters. I know what it can and can't do, and I find that the "cans" out weigh the "cants."

I wear a full face all the time. I have three full faces, all different, all blacked out lenses. I like the anonymity that comes with a blacked out full face. Can raise a little more hell lol. That said I do infact have a half helmet as well. Wore it twice. Short of bar hopping around this (almost) one light town it's useless to me. The wind buffeting is deffening on the free way and with SoCal soccer moms and blue hairs it just doesn't feel right.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

does the kawasaki have anti lock brakes? makes a hugh difference in keeping control under hard braking.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Sport1200N
Cruiser

Wow. Happy to hear that you made it home safe! The only close call I had was a deer and that was a straight line and had plently of braking distance.

One question though: When the rear brake wheel locks up, I was under the impression that the worst thing to do was to let go and start pumping because that causes the front to wobble (and hitting the front brakes during a wobble can be deadly).

I've never tried this but would like to take a course on proper emergency braking... What I've heard is that when the rear wheel locks up, keep with it and let go very, very gently as not to cause a sudden imbalance.

Comments?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
EaZ8
Cruiser

glad you are ok

Originally Posted by Sport1200N
One question though: When the rear brake wheel locks up, I was under the impression that the worst thing to do was to let go and start pumping because that causes the front to wobble (and hitting the front brakes during a wobble can be deadly).

I've never tried this but would like to take a course on proper emergency braking... What I've heard is that when the rear wheel locks up, keep with it and let go very, very gently as not to cause a sudden imbalance.

Comments?
in the MSC they teach you to keep the rear locked and ride it out. if it is skipping in and out of traction it can cause the whole bike to wobble, also it can cause it to bite and throw you...kinda like a really hard downshift.

ive never locked up my sportys tires and i hope i never have to.. but in my MSC it was raining and i locked the rear and just road it out straight to a stop.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wear a helmet and don't give 2 sh*ts if that's uncool. Walking around like a zombie because you hit your head in a minor accident is crazy to me but I still think it's a personal choice.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Just Matt and His Iron
Novice

I wear a full face helmet. It is red/white/black and has a jet black face shield. When i walk in places with it, people assume i ride a crotch rocket. Would love to keep the skin on my face if i crash...

However i do ride in shorts in a t-shirt...

Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
MattCo
Tourer

Wow close one, thank god you and your bike are in one piece. I always wear my helmet, i can't care about what people say. I wear an "open-face" during summer, and full helmet on winter. Always wear your helmet, better to look a bit funny than dead.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 PM
MattCo
Tourer

Originally Posted by EaZ8
glad you are ok

in the MSC they teach you to keep the rear locked and ride it out. if it is skipping in and out of traction it can cause the whole bike to wobble, also it can cause it to bite and throw you...kinda like a really hard downshift.

ive never locked up my sportys tires and i hope i never have to.. but in my MSC it was raining and i locked the rear and just road it out straight to a stop.
It felt pretty safe actually, to ride the skid rather than letting go after a second.

Quick Reply: My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.