Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Sportsters are really forgiving. I've released the rear brake many times after the back has broken loose. Instead of high-siding like they say you will do, my 1200 custom has always just stood back up. Love my bike!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
whiskey girl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maneuverability and quickness are exactly why I bought a Sportster. Love my bike.

I don't care how hot it is, how uncool it is or how bad the "helmet hair" is, my head is covered. I've had a wreck with no helmet, never again. I like what's left of my brains.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a full face helmet, looks badass, deff worth it and you dont get annoyed by bugs hitting u in thr face or wind

Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
brett.
Advanced

ive had a near close call that was similar, as a trucked slide through a stop light on a greasy road as i approached.

regardless, ive always worn full face, whether on the sportster or my sv. i totaled a low rider once and the roll bar dragged me through gravel. i looked at the helmet, and without that chin guard i realized id have no mouth.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Glad it was just a 'close call'.

Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing.
I wear a FF, started out with the half helmet but never liked it and they really don't do you much good in a crash anyway. Personally i think they FF looks 'cooler' than half-helmets. Add in the fact that the damn thing feels like it's pulling off of your head at highway speeds and you're deaf by the time you get anywhere and it's an easy choice. I still support the rider's discretion to choose their own personal level of protection.
I'll just wear sunglasses if i'm not going on the highway, but if my trip includes goin faster than 40mph... i'm rockin the SHOEI. Pretty much always wear boots, jeans, and Loser-Machine "Death Grip" gloves.
I have any Alpinestars vented jacket that i wear when it isn't "miserable hot" outside (aka Spring/Fall)

Originally Posted by Sikk50
Glad you came out ok. I like the maneuverability of sportsters. I know what it can and can't do, and I find that the "cans" out weigh the "cants."

I wear a full face all the time. I have three full faces, all different, all blacked out lenses. I like the anonymity that comes with a blacked out full face. Can raise a little more hell lol. That said I do infact have a half helmet as well. Wore it twice. Short of bar hopping around this (almost) one light town it's useless to me. The wind buffeting is deffening on the free way and with SoCal soccer moms and blue hairs it just doesn't feel right.

Last edited by capitalist_slave; 08-19-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Attached Thumbnails My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.-img959017-1-.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Wow! That was a close call!
We don't have helmet laws in Florida, but....
I choose to wear a 3/4 DOT approved Bell Custom 500 helmet. It's not the coolest thing in the world but it keeps my head safe.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM
LDB415
Road Captain

Which is less cool, wearing a helmet or wearing a burial suit in a casket?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Helmets are like seat belts and air bags. They are added insurance but no guarentee of survival in an accident. You have to weigh your risk and decide based on that. I know of where a moped rider turned a corner hit the curb and wacked his head on the curb and didn't survive. Thats why i wear at least a half. I ordered a 3/4 for cooler weather and less noise.

If you find yourself worrying all the time about your safety as a rider then maybe you should find something else to do. I figure when my time is up i really have no say in the matter. I do have a say in enjoying the moment i'm in day by day. I am willing to say that most 800+lb bagger drivers aren't capable of controlling that much a machine when things go bad and locally speaking the majority of biker fatalies this year that i've seen on the news were baggers regretfully.

Ride safe and trust nobody on the road with you.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,591 Likes on 22,694 Posts

Originally Posted by EaZ8
glad you are ok

in the MSC they teach you to keep the rear locked and ride it out. if it is skipping in and out of traction it can cause the whole bike to wobble, also it can cause it to bite and throw you...kinda like a really hard downshift.

ive never locked up my sportys tires and i hope i never have to.. but in my MSC it was raining and i locked the rear and just road it out straight to a stop.
I was involved in a situation a couple Friday's ago between Sundance WY and Devil's Tower WY, during the Sturgis rally.
This moron just kept creeping into my lane,(we was riding staggered) no signals on, no brake light on, and decided to stop in my lane.
I yelled at him, hit the brakes, starting high siding, and realized I was gonna hit him sideways. *** that!!

In that instant of realizing that, I let go of both brakes and also in that instant, I straightened out immediately!!
This gave me the space to miss him..due to the front end being where it was aimed at, which was away from him.

As soon as I straightened out, I throttled down hard and missed him by 6 inches, as there were bikes on my tail too and I had to compensate for momentum lost, as I did not want to cause a wreck either.

Had I not hit the brakes started to high side(sideways) and then let go of the brakes I would have hit him sideways.

Had I had ABS I probably would have rear-ended him.
So there's so much for riding out a high side as far as I'm concerned.
*** that..

Last edited by lionsm13; 08-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.