Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,418 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by knights
in the UK, you HAVE to wear a helmet by law.
im pretty sure a 1/2 helmet is illegal aswel. 3/4 and full are legal.

i think even if it wasnt the law, i would still wear a helmet.
you ride a harley, you already look 10X more cool than anyone else.
but i also like to look cool off my bike too, and looking like a drooling cabbage with a steel plate in your head doesnt look cool.
oh a coffin doesnt make you look cool either
You've got it all wrong. It has NOTHING to do with lookin' cool. It has everything to do with the riding experience. I for one do not enjoy riding with a Helmet. But that should be the riders choice and not that of a Nanny State. What I will NEVER understand is why so many who CHOOSE to wear a helmet want to take the choice away from others. And don't give me the BS about public expense because if you use that argument then motorcycles period should be against the law.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 AM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
What I will NEVER understand is why so many who CHOOSE to wear a helmet want to take the choice away from others. And don't give me the BS about public expense because if you use that argument then motorcycles period should be against the law.
I don't see anyone on here saying helmets should be mandatory, in fact I personally have never heard anyone, anywhere who chooses to wear a helmet say they think it should be the law. I think most riders understand it is a choice.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 AM
knights
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I will NEVER understand is why so many who CHOOSE to wear a helmet want to take the choice away from others. And don't give me the BS about public expense because if you use that argument then motorcycles period should be against the law.
i didnt say anything like that.
i do agree that its stupid to force a rider to wear one, if they wanna risk death n brain damage, then that should be their choice, not the governments.

i wear a helmet because the law says i have to, and because i happen to value my head, i also dont want my son growing up without a dad.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

i didnt say anything like that.
i do agree that its stupid to force a rider to wear one, if they wanna risk death n brain damage, then that should be their choice, not the governments.

i wear a helmet because the law says i have to, and because i happen to value my head, i also dont want my son growing up without a dad.
I see you edited my post, are you a reporter?........LOL I was mostly responding to the insinuation that we went without helmets because it was "COOL". And that is pure BS. To bad you didn't use my complete post and not edit it to your convenience.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
knights
Tourer

I see you edited my post, are you a reporter?........LOL I was mostly responding to the insinuation that we went without helmets because it was "COOL". And that is pure BS. To bad you didn't use my complete post and not edit it to your convenience.
no im not a reporter, i just use common sense. the rest of your post was not relative to my reply.
as i was replying to your part about the government forcing you to wear a helmet, when it should be the choice of the rider, i chose to just use that part of your post in the quote.
this was for everyone's convenience when reading this thread, not just mine convenience, as you wrote.
i didnt edit your post, its still there for everyone to see. i just kept the thread relative and clean.
if you actually read my post, i was agreeing with you that it should be the rider's choice to wear a helmet or not.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

no im not a reporter, i just use common sense. the rest of your post was not relative to my reply.
as i was replying to your part about the government forcing you to wear a helmet, when it should be the choice of the rider, i chose to just use that part of your post in the quote.
this was for everyone's convenience when reading this thread, not just mine convenience, as you wrote.
i didnt edit your post, its still there for everyone to see. i just kept the thread relative and clean.
if you actually read my post, i was agreeing with you that it should be the rider's choice to wear a helmet or not.
And you insinuated that we went without helmets because it was "COOL" which is BS. I agree with the rest of what you have said.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM
knights
Tourer

yeah i think you have made your point clear that you thinks its BS.
i happen to know guys who dont wear a helmet because it looks cool.
so why you think im personally referring to just you when i wrote that post is beyond me.
im not here to have silly arguments on the internet.
you dont wear a helmet, i do wear a helmet.
i know guys who dont wear them for "cool" reasons, you dont wear one for other reasons.
points made
let's move on

Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

C'mon guys, take your BS arguments off this thread or I'll have to send you to your rooms with no dinner! Geeze... grow up and get off of here!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thumper26
C'mon guys, take your BS arguments off this thread or I'll have to send you to your rooms with no dinner! Geeze... grow up and get off of here!
done!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I wear a half because most fatalities are low *under 35mph*to no speed. I will wear FF in winter because i don't desire frostbite. I refuse to buy boats of bikes ie any bike that weighs over 600lbs. I'm an ox and i've dropped my 883 and once it started going i couldn't stop it. I can't imagine getting squirrely on a Road King or Street Glide. There is a great fallicy in the thought that an 883 is a small motorcycle.

Quick Reply: My near accident and how the Sportster may have saved me.