Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil from air breather? anyone know why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
jlwhitt77
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil from air breather? anyone know why?

My sister has an 06 sporty 883. She called complaining of an oil leak. When I looked at it, the air filter was saturated with oil. It has a stock breather and when I took the filter out I could see that the oil was coming from the head breather. Guess there crank case breathers. What causes this? My 95 1200 does the same damn thing. Oil gets all over my pipes and everything else. Can anyone help?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

#1 cause is too much oil in the oil tank.
The oil level should be 1/2 way between the ADD and FULL marks in the dipstick, when checked with the motor hot and the bike on the jiffy stand.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think you can stop it, but there are cleaner ways to handle it. Check out DK's outlaw breather bolts. My V&H kit came with rubber hoses to blow that oil directly into the intake.. not something I'm happy about but it's better than blowing it out on the bike. I don't know how much is "normal", or what would cause more than normal blowing out.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM
samhallnc
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
#1 cause is too much oil in the oil tank.
The oil level should be 1/2 way between the ADD and FULL marks in the dipstick, when checked with the motor hot and the bike on the jiffy stand.
hey cHarley.. is it possible to get no oil mist blowing out if you get the oil level perfect?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
I don't think you can stop it, but there are cleaner ways to handle it. Check out DK's outlaw breather bolts. My V&H kit came with rubber hoses to blow that oil directly into the intake.. not something I'm happy about but it's better than blowing it out on the bike. I don't know how much is "normal", or what would cause more than normal blowing out.
I've got the DK's, they look great and keep the oil out of the intake but man, they spray the bike. Pipes, air cleaner, gas tank.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on what charley said,you can use a chicken baster to get the oil out.
I find a little below halfway the best for my bike.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
samhallnc
Road Master

Originally Posted by AlexWS
I've got the DK's, they look great and keep the oil out of the intake but man, they spray the bike. Pipes, air cleaner, gas tank.
Not much point in them then is there? I thought they had a filter in them such that pressure could release but oil couldn't pass through. I bought some but I ordered them too long (my fault, I didn't measure and guessed).. was planning on sawing them down and installing them, but if they're not going to prevent oil spray then why bother?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
cHarley
Club Member

hey cHarley.. is it possible to get no oil mist blowing out if you get the oil level perfect?
On many bikes, yes, but some may still get a small amount when run real hard, like doing the interstate at 80 mph for a few hours.

If the breathers are doing what they are supposed to do, a little bit of oil mist is to be expected, but if you overfill the tank, that little bit of mist turns into puking oil and it's not going to matter what you do or install, the excess oil is going to come out somewhere.

I prefer to not have any oil splattered down the bike or my leg, so my choice was to run a bypass down below the frame. The only time I see any oil, is after I park it when it's been run pretty hard. I might find a drop of oil on the concrete below where the bypass dumps, after it has set for a hour or so. That's much easier to wipe up than having to clean it off the side of bike and my clothes IMO.

The filter that's part of the bypass system below, was removed a couple of years ago, and the line is now runs straight through. I found having to remove and clean the filter every few months was more trouble than it was worth, but the reason I now get the drop of oil on the floor occasionally.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Not much point in them then is there? I thought they had a filter in them such that pressure could release but oil couldn't pass through. I bought some but I ordered them too long (my fault, I didn't measure and guessed).. was planning on sawing them down and installing them, but if they're not going to prevent oil spray then why bother?
Nope, not if your intent is to keep the "normal" oil mist off the side of the bike.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, as has been said, some most is normal. If you're trying to keep the bike spotless then breather bolts are not your friend. When the most gets caught in the wind it just goes everywhere and really shows up on flat paint

Quick Reply: oil from air breather? anyone know why?