Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil from air breather? anyone know why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Here's a couple threads from the Touring section that might shed some light on a very common problem..... even is with Metric bikes:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-cleaner.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...uring-out.html

Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
jlwhitt77
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the input. Like the looks and idea of the bypass.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

cHarley, do you know anything about checking the oil on lowered bikes? i assume a lowered bike that sits more upright on the jiffy stand would show more oil on the dipstick than a standard bike. Would it make any noticeable difference as long as you have a "fill" and "full" reference point?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
JonFMJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the oil in the filter, it's to much oil like cHarley said. A cheap turkey bastor or a syringe will take care of that. And Sam I believe the bolts are for when your running a filter that doesn't have ports for recirculating crank case vapors or for when you just want to clean things up a bit. Finding the right amount of oil will keep it from puking all over your bike.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:17 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Outlaw Breather Bolts and have yet to see a drop of oil anywhere on the outside of my bike. My oil level is also kept at the 1/2 way mark on the stick.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I use the Outlaw Breather Bolts and have yet to see a drop of oil anywhere on the outside of my bike. My oil level is also kept at the 1/2 way mark on the stick.
That's probably because you have the stock cover over the air cleaner to catch the mist. With nothing but a Mr. Reed air cleaner on mine there isn't much to hold it back

Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexWS
That's probably because you have the stock cover over the air cleaner to catch the mist. With nothing but a Mr. Reed air cleaner on mine there isn't much to hold it back
Nope no mist, inside of cover is clean, but i also don't have a ton of miles on them yet so time will tell. I think the oil level is the most important factor.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by IamDiabolical
cHarley, do you know anything about checking the oil on lowered bikes? i assume a lowered bike that sits more upright on the jiffy stand would show more oil on the dipstick than a standard bike. Would it make any noticeable difference as long as you have a "fill" and "full" reference point?
You bring up an excellent point and it's a very valid question.
I know some people will disagree with me on this, because "the manual" says different, but because the oil tank runs laterally across the frame, and the dipstick is located in the right-hand side of the tank, the lean angle of the bike when it's on the jiffy affects the oil level reading on the dipstick. My bike has been raised about 1" and the jiffy is stock length. As a result, my bike leans a little more to the left side than most and this results in more oil flowing to the left side of the tank, away from the dipstick.

Now, that's all well and good, but your bike isn't ridden leaning on the jiffy stand. I've found on mine that I don't have an oil puking problem with the oil level at or close to the FULL mark, if that level is measured with the bike in its upright (normal operating) position. Then when I rest the bike back on the jiffy, the oil level measures about 1/2 way on the dipstick. How much your oil level changes between upright and resting on the jiffy will vary with lean angle.

I recommend, at least once, setting your oil level (hot) to the Full mark with the bike upright, then lean it back on the jiffy, clean the stick and remeasure to see where it now falls on the dipstick. That should be your new max fill level when measuring on the jiffy stand.

Last edited by cHarley; 08-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

AND, just so someone doesn't drop their bike checking the oil level while trying to hold the bike upright:

Clean the dipstick and reinstall
Straddle the bike and raise it upright
Set the bike back on the jiffy
Now pull the stick and check the level

Last edited by cHarley; 08-07-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
You bring up an excellent point and it's a very valid question.
I know some people will disagree with me on this, because "the manual" says different, but because the oil tank runs laterally across the frame, and the dipstick is located in the right-hand side of the tank, the lean angle of the bike when it's on the jiffy affects the oil level reading on the dipstick. My bike has been raised about 1" and the jiffy is stock length. As a result, my bike leans a little more to the left side than most and this results in more oil flowing to the left side of the tank, away from the dipstick.

Now, that's all well and good, but your bike isn't ridden leaning on the jiffy stand. I've found on mine that I don't have an oil puking problem with the oil level at or close to the FULL mark, if that level is measured with the bike in its upright (normal operating) position. Then when I rest the bike back on the jiffy, the oil level measures about 1/2 way on the dipstick. How much your oil level changes between upright and resting on the jiffy will vary with lean angle.

I recommend, at least once, setting your oil level (hot) to the Full mark with the bike upright, then lean it back on the jiffy, clean the stick and remeasure to see where it now falls on the dipstick. That should be your new max fill level when measuring on the jiffy stand.
That makes sense, I changed over to fully synth only last week and i have just over a litre spare for top-ups so ill do a hot check and fill it to full with the bike upright and see how it fairs.

In the past ive been keeping the oil at half way up the dipstick and ive never really had a problem with oil mist but ive always had a lower bike than standard.

Quick Reply: oil from air breather? anyone know why?