Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts after a month of riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Zarncar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts after a month of riding

I have now had my Sportster for just around a month, here's some (very random) random things I have learned/observed in my month (bored at work).

• Why would anybody want to drive a car instead of ride? I am considering getting rid of the truck so I don't have to pay for it to just sit there (haven't driven it since the day I got my bike).
  • Shifting into neutral instead of 2nd infront of a crowd of gals and hitting the throttle is embarassing.
  • The most unnerving feeling ever: Dry night, not a cloud in site, zero moisture, and you suddenly get mist in your face and wonder if somebody just pissed off of the overpass.
  • Bees at 45mph hitting your face doesn't feel good (and I can always see it as it comes at me, with too little time to react).
  • It's nice to have comradery with a vehicle again, where other riders always give a wave or nod (atleast here in Portland).
  • Tracks for the street car/trolly love to suck your tire in, not fun when cornering at 30.
  • The feeling of straightening out of a corner and hitting the throttle still turns me into a giddy little school boy.
  • Pretty much everybody turns and looks when a Harley goes by.
  • I definitely need some riding buddies, and some time off of school and work so I can do some real trips.
  • Filling up a tank for $12 is fantastic. As is pumping your own gas (not allowed in Oregon for cars, but they let you on a bike).
  • Once your bike gets past a 45 degree angle while not paying attention and parking it takes a lot of strength to pull it back up.
  • I (usually) love being able to smell everything, ride past breweries and restaraunts on my way to school and home from work.
  • When a car is coming into your lane and you have no escape route kicking the door is very satisfying.
  • Something I never thought I would have to say to someone is "why don't you get off of your f**cking computer while driving?"
  • Riding with nothing but what is in your pockets feels so free (on my way to school and work I need to carry a bunch of heavy **** in my backpack).
  • You get a lot more attention from people (particularly the opposite sex) when they see that you ride a bike, never had my vehicle be called "sexy" so many times.

Cheers,

Ride hard

Last edited by Zarncar; 08-06-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree on all of those!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 AM
heshua
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zarncar
I have now had my Sportster for just around a month, here's some (very random) random things I have learned/observed in my month (bored at work).

• Why would anybody want to drive a car instead of ride? I am considering getting rid of the truck so I don't have to pay for it to just sit there (haven't driven it since the day I got my bike).
  • Shifting into neutral instead of 2nd infront of a crowd of gals and hitting the throttle is embarassing.
  • The most unnerving feeling ever: Dry night, not a cloud in site, zero moisture, and you suddenly get mist in your face and wonder if somebody just pissed off of the overpass.
  • Bees at 45mph hitting your face doesn't feel good (and I can always see it as it comes at me, with too little time to react).
  • It's nice to have comradery with a vehicle again, where other riders always give a wave or nod (atleast here in Portland).
  • Tracks for the street car/trolly love to suck your tire in, not fun when cornering at 30.
  • The feeling of straightening out of a corner and hitting the throttle still turns me into a giddy little school boy.
  • Pretty much everybody turns and looks when a Harley goes by.
  • I definitely need some riding buddies, and some time off of school and work so I can do some real trips.
  • Filling up a tank for $12 is fantastic. As is pumping your own gas (not allowed in Oregon for cars, but they let you on a bike).
  • Once your bike gets past a 45 degree angle while not paying attention and parking it takes a lot of strength to pull it back up.
  • I (usually) love being able to smell everything, ride past breweries and restaraunts on my way to school and home from work.
  • When a car is coming into your lane and you have no escape route kicking the door is very satisfying.
  • Something I never thought I would have to say to someone is "why don't you get off of your f**cking computer while driving?"
  • Riding with nothing but what is in your pockets feels so free (on my way to school and work I need to carry a bunch of heavy **** in my backpack).
  • You get a lot more attention from people (particularly the opposite sex) when they see that you ride a bike, never had my vehicle be called "sexy" so many times.

Cheers,

Ride hard

Just hit my 1000mile mark recently too. While I've never kicked someone's door, everything else you said is how I feel too. I too have no close friends that have a bike. So I get what you're saying. Riding is fun, but would be so much more fun with some people to ride with.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 AM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to mention having to re-fuel every 90 miles on your "peanut tank".

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Arihant
Cruiser

Great insights, BUT...

Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 AM
eviltwin415
Tourer

The getting rid of the truck dilemma. I got rid of my nice truck that I was driving less than 10k miles a year on, yet was costing me around $400 a month between payment, insurance (you need full coverage when it's financed), and gas, and bought a '98 ford ranger piece of **** (very reliable piece of ****) for about $3k, that is serves its purpose, can hold a bike (got it mostly for the dog), and costs less than $20 a month to ensure. Not to mention you never have to worry about it getting dinged, scratched, etc. Smartest decision I've ever made.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Judge1989
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all of it. Right around the 3k mark you learn something else valuable. Invest in loctite.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 AM
barncat
Tourer

I couldn't agree more with you on any of this. I especially have always loved(sometimes hated) the heightened sense of smell.

I recommend carrying a few marbles in your pocket for those drivers that almost cut you off.
MY wife and I almost got creamed by a guy who made a lane change without looking. I was quick to pass him, and let the marble fly. It saves you from bodily injuries, and teaches a cager a quick lesson in paying attention

Last edited by barncat; 08-06-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by barncat
I couldn't agree more with you on any of this. I especially have always loved(sometimes hated) the heightened sense of smell.

I recommend carrying a few marbles in your pocket for those drivers that almost cut you off.
MY wife almost got creamed by a guy who made a lane change without looking. I was quick to pass him, and let the marble fly. It saves you from bodily injuries, and teaches a cager a quick lesson in paying attention
not marbles , old nuts and bolts, small parts you find in the street , in case the guy who's window you just busted comes after you or calls cops well you just say some road debris must have been kicked up and hit his window . works great

Old 08-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

There will be times, especially in Portland, when you'll wish you had a set of four wheels. Trust me, I had nothing but a Triumph for two years in my life and riding in foul weather, or very cold temps, wears thin after a while. All of what you say is true, but hang onto a set of four wheels.

Quick Reply: Thoughts after a month of riding