Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me bypass my front brake switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012 | 08:35 AM
samhallnc
|
Road Master
Default Help me bypass my front brake switch

here's a blowup fiche of the right switch housing:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TCH-ASSEMBLIES

I broke the damned brake switch when I was changing bars (here's a tip.. read that $60 manual before you screw something up.. it told me plainly how to prevent this) What I want to do is disable that switch so that my rear brake will actually make the brake light work. Unless I'm missing my guess, the broken switch is now constantly in the "on" position, and if I were to cut one of the wires coming out of the switch in #17 on that fiche I linked, i'd achieve that. So that's the first question.. anyone know that that won't work?

Second question.. does anyone know what color either of those wires is when it goes into the connector (#21 on the right in the fiche)? I've already spliced all those wires, so cutting it at the bottom wouldn't be a big deal.. I'd like to do this without taking the throttle assembly apart.

Bike is a 2009 by the way.

Old 08-04-2012 | 08:45 AM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

Just a quick one before you start chopping. Is it definitely broken? When the switch is pressed it is open when you pull the level it springs out, closing the circuit. Is it physically broken? If so is it possible for a picture? It can be a pain to get the lever aligned up correctly.

Old 08-04-2012 | 08:58 AM
samhallnc
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by IamDiabolical
Just a quick one before you start chopping. Is it definitely broken? When the switch is pressed it is open when you pull the level it springs out, closing the circuit. Is it physically broken? If so is it possible for a picture? It can be a pain to get the lever aligned up correctly.
I can't tell without taking the assembly apart.. but if it's possible to put it together wrong and the switch might not be broken, I guess it would be stupid not to pull it apart. Besides with it apart I can test the switch.. if it is broken I'll be right there to cut that wire.

When you pull the brake lever can you actually hear that switch clicking? Because I'm not hearing anything.. seems like I remember hearing a very subtle click when I used to pull it.

Old 08-04-2012 | 09:04 AM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

You might be able to hear a click I'm not too sure but when you get a chance quickly take the lever off (loosen the switch gear you won't have to take it off) turn your ignition and and finger that switch like a 14 year old boy. If it works you know it's just your lever that isn't clamped close enough.

Old 08-04-2012 | 09:12 AM
samhallnc
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by IamDiabolical
You might be able to hear a click I'm not too sure but when you get a chance quickly take the lever off (loosen the switch gear you won't have to take it off) turn your ignition and and finger that switch like a 14 year old boy. If it works you know it's just your lever that isn't clamped close enough.
Well what do you know.. the switch is good, glad I didn't just start cutting. I must have put it together wrong, it's working now. I was in a 100 degree building stoned out of my gourd when I put it together yesterday.

I jumped right to "broken" because I've heard so many people on this board talk about breaking that switch during handlebar change. Thanks for your help man.

Old 08-04-2012 | 09:21 AM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

glad i could help man, a similar thing happened when i changed my bars. I speak from frustrated experience haha.

Old 08-04-2012 | 02:41 PM
ddvr29
6th Gear

hey before you start cutting wires, there is a easy fix for it. if you take a small srew and srew it into the hole where the nipple on the switch broke off the head of the srew will act like the nipple. I did the samething doing by bars. do a search on this fourm and you will see many folks have fixed it this way

Old 08-04-2012 | 04:28 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ddvr29
hey before you start cutting wires, there is a easy fix for it. if you take a small srew and srew it into the hole where the nipple on the switch broke off the head of the srew will act like the nipple. I did the samething doing by bars. do a search on this fourm and you will see many folks have fixed it this way
did you read the thread or just parts of it LOL