Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 AM
TJ Guin
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could run some X14IED's I use them with a set of Vance&Hines HS slip-ons and the bike fires up better and responds better and runs cooler,worth the extra $100.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 AM
K9Tamer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HubcapHubler
Hey i was looking at getting a pair similar to these. Did they give you any performance? Im in the same boat as you these are just for now till i get enough doh for the full pipes i want.
The bike feels like it has a bit more torque and the sound is perfect. I only have about 30 miles on them but I will get back to you with an update when I put some more miles on.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
djw88
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's normal for a bike without modified engine management, but is not good IMHO!

Stock bikes run very lean to meet EPA regulations, but as wanabe says even a stock bike will benefit from an ecu, to restore air/fuel ratios. It is not just a heat thing, the bike will run better all round, especially with a change of mufflers!

Our bikes are very refined beasties these days and backyard tuning is a thing of the past. We need to get smart!
Chill out its no big deal... its not like its popping and crackling all the time. I plan on getting some fuel management system when I get an A/C. Its has a small pop on long deceleration sometimes and yes that's normal... for any bike with pipes tuned or not...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by djw88
Chill out its no big deal... its not like its popping and crackling all the time. I plan on getting some fuel management system when I get an A/C. Its has a small pop on long deceleration sometimes and yes that's normal... for any bike with pipes tuned or not...
I've been riding since the 60s and owned Harleys since the 70s. None of my bikes in over half a million miles have popped, unless something was wrong. It ain't 'normal' and yours ain't right!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Arihant
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi K9, your scoot looks very neat! Was planning to go for the same slips...are they the V&H 3" twin slashers? How much did ya pay for them?

I'm gonna get the chrome ones, but also looked up the black ceramic ones you have...the pics on the site do show shotgun style header covers, but they do state that the pics use OEM accessory header shields from HD, so you havent been gypped.

Could you post some close ups? Curious coz the website has pics that show a few mm of muffler stcking out from under the shields at the tail end, but dont see that in your pics. Read the installation manual and they show how that tail outta look after a proper install.

Much appreciated!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no performance increase with just putting on more open pipes. That is all in your mind from the sound.

The internal combustion is basically an air pump. Just because you open up the back side of the pump, there won't be any increase in performance until you take the sock out of the mouth, and adjust the fuel delivery system to compensate for the additional air.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
There is no performance increase with just putting on more open pipes. That is all in your mind from the sound.

The internal combustion is basically an air pump. Just because you open up the back side of the pump, there won't be any increase in performance until you take the sock out of the mouth, and adjust the fuel delivery system to compensate for the additional air.
The Dyno results from MotoUSA would beg to differ. Here is a link to the Slip-on Shootout article and the HP chart showing significant increases (up to 20%) from stock.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/413/13...-Shootout.aspx

Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
djw88
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've been riding since the 60s and owned Harleys since the 70s. None of my bikes in over half a million miles have popped, unless something was wrong. It ain't 'normal' and yours ain't right!
good for you gray hair... :P

Vance & Hines said that some decel "popcorn" is normal when you're off the throttle at low speeds

Last edited by djw88; 08-04-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
The Dyno results from MotoUSA would beg to differ. Here is a link to the Slip-on Shootout article and the HP chart showing significant increases (up to 20%) from stock.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/413/13...-Shootout.aspx

Yes, but those Dyno results weren't with bikes that had stock air cleaners. That is a comparison of different pipes. NO WAY you can get 20% increase without putting more air into the engine. You can find anything on the internet, but it doesn't change basic physics. If you can't put more air and more fuel into the engine, not much is going to change. If it did, why would so many of us change out air cleaners and fuel delivery systems??

Last edited by SportyPig; 08-04-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Yes, but those Dyno results weren't with bikes that had stock air cleaners. That is a comparison of different pipes. NO WAY you can get 20% increase without putting more air into the engine. You can find anything on the internet, but it doesn't change basic physics. If you can't put more air and more fuel into the engine, not much is going to change. If it did, why would so many of us change out air cleaners and fuel delivery systems??
I didn't see anywhere in the article where they mentioned changing out anything other than the stock exhaust. Please show me where it says that? I was skeptical when I saw the results, but I have no reason to doubt them unless someone can provide proof otherwise. Some of the pipes tested offered almost no increase while others were significant. If they were all off the charts I'd be more inclined to beleive the dyno numbers were incorrect. As it stands now unless someone can provide credible information to the contrary I tend to believe the results.

Quick Reply: New exhaust questions