Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Sporty Owners Heading To Sturgis!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM
KaputsKustoms
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Sporty Owners Heading To Sturgis!?!

Hey All!

Like the title asks, anyone heading out to Sturgis this year? I'm poppin' my Black Hills Cherry this year and was wondering if anyone else is making the trip?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Pateburke
Stage IV

I'm not sure if I'm making it because of the distance. How far away are you from there?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went last year and had an absolute blast. If you've been to one bike rally you've been to them all. Same old crap downtown in Sturgis; vendors, cheap t shirts and trickets, ugly women in not enough clothes, the usual. However, the riding around the area totally makes it worth it. Sure we spent a little time in Sturgis, checked out Main Street, Full Throttle Saloon(The Horse Magazine has a show there on Tuesday that's pretty good) and the AHDRA races are also cool.

Ride to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, We rode into Wyoming to Devils Tower. You can usually find maps with suggested riding routes. Plan your day out and don't try to squeeze everything in one day. I think we rode about 1200 miles just riding around that area and that was WAAYYY more enjoyable than everything else. Infact if I ever go back I want to go the week before, ride the area and then catch the first 2-3 days of the rally before the huge crowds. My dad is going back this year and they're actually leaving Friday, wish I could make it.

Have fun, watch for idiots.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
KaputsKustoms
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HERE

Have fun, watch for idiots.
I heard that! Thanks!

My old man has been a die-hard Harley rider all his life, and he has made a point to avoided Sturgis and other big rally events. Like you said, it's more about marketing and selling t-shirts now than it is about the actual riding.

I got married a couple years ago and this last Christmas my wife wrapped up a Harley shirt with a note saying she wanted to me to go to Sturgis with my friends, since I always talked about it (but never pushed the subject). #best_wife_ever!

Honestly, I think the only reason she's letting me go is because she knows that I won't be able to give any girls a ride on my bike since I chopped the rear rails/fender, clip-ons and have a solo 48 seat.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
KaputsKustoms
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pateburke
I'm not sure if I'm making it because of the distance. How far away are you from there?
Just under 600 miles to Deadwood where we're staying.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
dawn_77
Novice

As of yesterday, the folks I was going with pussed-out. Pretty bummed.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
schrader6
Stage IV

Leaving from Iowa Saturday morning! Thinking about staying at Hog Heaven Campground. Has anyone stayed there? Seems pretty reasonable and on the west side of Sturgis. We stayed at Glencoe last year and although it was a ton of fun, it's on the east side of Sturgis and riding through town is a nightmare after a long day of riding in the hills.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
KaputsKustoms
Cruiser

Thinking about staying at Hog Heaven Campground. Has anyone stayed there?

This is my first year out there. We're roughin' it in a hotel in Deadwood I know the whole "camping" thing is supposed to be part of the experience, but I've spent enough nights in tents at music festivals listening to the soundtrack of drunk people yelling and smashing bottles until the sun comes up, I figured a good night sleep inbetween riding and drinking would be good for me!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
doobs48
Tourer

Originally Posted by KaputsKustoms
We're roughin' it in a hotel in Deadwood
Wuss! Ha!

Last edited by doobs48; 08-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
alexl
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pateburke
haha you're like 6 hours away! that's a short day trip!

Quick Reply: Any Sporty Owners Heading To Sturgis!?!