Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Induction module cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Voelser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction module cracked!

Further to my previous post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...aster-day.html

My day just got worse:

I got a Screamin's Eagle Heavy Breather that I want to install together with the Rough Crafts Guerilla Exhaust. Love the agreesive look. So I demounted the stock air intake, which was pretty straight forward. Prepared the new intake and started mounting it. When I monuted the bracket there was a 5mm gap between the induction module and they bracket (see image), but it seemed like tightening the screws would solve that. Unfortunately it didn't and I now have a crack in my induction module (see other image)! I assume that this is very bad and will have to be replaced. I'm sure its an expensive part and by now I'm too paranoid to do anything myself! For now I've taken it back of and mounted to stock intake while I figure out what to do.

I'm not sure why the part wouldn't fit as I double checked: it is the right part for my bike! So I am stumped as to why it wouldn't fit...

Anybody any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Induction module cracked!-img_7239_small.jpg   Induction module cracked!-img_7241_small.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 PM
robosmurf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you followed the directions? My air cleaner came with gaskets to go in that gap specific to the model and year of the bike.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Voelser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robosmurf
Are you sure you followed the directions? My air cleaner came with gaskets to go in that gap specific to the model and year of the bike.
yup...there was a gasket, it fit the holes perfectly, just not thick enough!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:40 PM
smithrw
Cruiser
Default induction module

If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing yesterday. The kit comes with 3 shorter bolts to use. I just didn't think of not using the original parts. Oh well after spinning wrench for nearly 30 years I can still screw it up! Worst part is the new throttle body is about $400.00. Dammit !

The following users liked this post:
maurino17 (12-07-2023)
Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Voelser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smithrw
If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing yesterday. The kit comes with 3 shorter bolts to use. I just didn't think of not using the original parts. Oh well after spinning wrench for nearly 30 years I can still screw it up! Worst part is the new throttle body is about $400.00. Dammit !
Im not sure about making me feel better, as I know how annoyed you must feel! I didn't use any of the stock bolt, the bracket just doesn't seem to fit as if the 'legs' that hold the breather bolts are too long! Its a tad of a mystery as I have the kit for my bike.

It is what it is and needs to be fixed? Will you have the dealer do it, or do it yourself? If so, where do you get the part?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
smithrw
Cruiser

I'll be having the dealer do it. I'd most likley screw it up some more. Should be fixed next week.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Voelser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smithrw
I'll be having the dealer do it. I'd most likley screw it up some more. Should be fixed next week.
Same....although the dealer here obviously doesn't want my custom as he is not getting back to me!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Voelser
Same....although the dealer here obviously doesn't want my custom as he is not getting back to me!
is this useful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Harley...7#ht_500wt_958

Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Why not just smooth over the crack with some JB Weld? When it's dry you can wet sand it smooth to the contours of the throttle body. Since it's already cracked, what do you have to lose?

John

The following users liked this post:
Volaz2020 (02-08-2021)
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Voelser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
Thanks...got it. It's the same part number as for my 883, so we will see if it fits. It saves me plenty of cash from the Harley stealer...lol

Quick Reply: Induction module cracked!