Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Meter 3209 with Hose Clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Meter 3209 with Hose Clamp?

Does anyone see a problem with mounting the Auto Meter 3209 with a hose clamp to a fork instead of the tank bolt? I just did the speedometer relocate along with the installing the new indicator light Joker Machine top clamp. The Auto Meter mount feels quite secure and sturdy on the fork mounted with a hose clamp inserted through the 2 slots of the Auto Meter base (the black part) then wrapped around the fork. Has anyone tried this mounting method? If this will work then it will save me from spending $159.95 on the Joker Machine speedo ring mount.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice
Default Auto Meter with Hose Clamp Mount Method

Here's the pic of what I mean:

Attached Thumbnails Auto Meter 3209 with Hose Clamp?-hose-clamp-mount.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rob from upstate
Does anyone see a problem with mounting the Auto Meter 3209 with a hose clamp to a fork instead of the tank bolt? I just did the speedometer relocate along with the installing the new indicator light Joker Machine top clamp. The Auto Meter mount feels quite secure and sturdy on the fork mounted with a hose clamp inserted through the 2 slots of the Auto Meter base (the black part) then wrapped around the fork. Has anyone tried this mounting method? If this will work then it will save me from spending $159.95 on the Joker Machine speedo ring mount.
You might consider a better type of clamp similar to those used in the aircraft industry (t bolt styly). Screw type clamps similar to hose clamps are generally not good for other than hose clamping type applications for which they were developed. Generally over time the type of clamp you picture will fail because of the weight of the item it is holding and the vibration from the bike.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice

Thanks for the help! Your reply is appreciated and makes perfect sense. I am going to hunt down a more substantial clamp and report my findings later.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice

I wonder if the tbar style clamp will be able to be inserted through the 2 narrow slots in the Auto Meter base mount though.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Rob from upstate
Novice

So, I decided to just simply go with the tank bolt mount option with my speedo relocate. I did place a 1/4 inch spacer behind the Auto Meter mount and the tank mount though. Here's the order from the tank mount outward using the tank bolt method: 1/4 inch spacer (I removed the original flat washer against the tank mount), Auto Meter mount with the outermost hole drilled using a 19/64 twist drill bit, split washer, nylon locking nut. I just got back from taking her for a spin. What an improvement in visibility past the bars! I wouldn't have attempted this project so easily if it weren't for all the information from this forum. Thanks to everyone here!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 PM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

Hows about a pic of the install?

Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Why not just spend an extra 10 bucks and get the other part of the autometer setup?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice

I haven't seen the other part for it. I looked on the Auto Meter site but had no luck. I will post a pic of my install later today.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice
Default Speedo Relocate Install

Here's the install pic of my speedo

Attached Thumbnails Auto Meter 3209 with Hose Clamp?-speedo-mount-close.jpg  

Quick Reply: Auto Meter 3209 with Hose Clamp?