Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
cockerhamsg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike covers

Im about to move back into an apartment, so my bike will be exposed to the elements. I've been thinking about getting a bike cover but I'm not sure it's the best idea. I've heard some stories of bikes being blown over because of covers. What are your opinions? How about suggested covers if this rules in favor of one? I've never looked at them.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Krowbar
Banned

Originally Posted by cockerhamsg
Im about to move back into an apartment, so my bike will be exposed to the elements. I've been thinking about getting a bike cover but I'm not sure it's the best idea. I've heard some stories of bikes being blown over because of covers. What are your opinions? How about suggested covers if this rules in favor of one? I've never looked at them.

I recommend two things:

1: get any water proof/resistance cover that will fit your bike. I use my old street bike one when I have to.

2: Invest in a shorter kick/jiffy stand so that your bike leans at a more "aggressive" angle so that it will take significantly more pressure to push/blow it over.

Hope this helps Devil Dog.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Invest in a Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Plus motorcycle cover. It's pretty much near waterproof and you can cover your bike up while its still hot from riding.
As for the Bike being blown over in the wind I would say that it's highly unlikely.
And remember to get your cover one size bigger than the recommended size on the fitment guide.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

I bought the cover from HD. $100 is a little steep but I've been nothing but happy with it.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Pensnut
Advanced

I bought one from WalMart recently. It was about $30. I wouldn't put it on when the bike was still hot and it's good for dust and a easy rain, that's about it. I know you are looking for suggestions on what to buy, I just thought I would warn you of this one. It sounds like you need a more heavy duty one.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 AM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts

I do cover my bike, I use an old cover that was made to order (custom made) by Autoxtra (company in Ca that's now out of business)....it was made for my old 95 Super Glide with the acc. I had on it...so it's bigger than my current 883 Low.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM
cockerhamsg
Cruiser

Sweet...I'm gonna look into the stand and check the angle. I feel like its pretty unlikely that the bike get blown over, too, weighing what it does. I'm more interested in a cover that won't melt and will actually keep the elements out. Thinking of getting one that it\s bigger than I need and rolling the front tire onto it, and making sure its big enough to cover my wheels. Do you guys lock these to your bikes?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Do make sure to get a cover that doesn't have the Harley logo or script on it. Why attract attention or thieves?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Sweet...I'm gonna look into the stand and check the angle. I feel like its pretty unlikely that the bike get blown over, too, weighing what it does. I'm more interested in a cover that won't melt and will actually keep the elements out. Thinking of getting one that it\s bigger than I need and rolling the front tire onto it, and making sure its big enough to cover my wheels. Do you guys lock these to your bikes?
If you decide on the Dowco remember to go 1 size up from the fitment chart. It will completely and tightly wrap around the tires. A large will fit your 48 perfectly. The cover is as close to waterproof as you can get and will not melt.
You can cover your bike up while it's still scorching hot.
And Dude, your bike isn't going down. I'm in Miami and strong wind gusts are common here.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM
cockerhamsg
Cruiser

Bad ***, I'll probably ****** one of those up then. Thanks fellas. And I wouldn't dream of having a branded cover. Might as well put a neon sign on the thing.

Quick Reply: Bike covers