Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puzzling problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Sp'48'ster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puzzling problem

So I installed my DK 2" tank lift along with the coil/ignition relocation kit. Of course I tucked the wires and connectors under the tank to complete the look, but then it hit me. What is to stop the rain from going under the tank and shorting out the wire connectors that were once housed in a somewhat protective plastic shroud? Anyone have an idea for a molded plastic shroud that could go over the backbone and be trimmed to accomidate any tank lift kit? Or does anyone have the ability to manufacture such a thing that could be painted, or offered only in black, with some sort of foam edge guard that could mold over the wires.

I know it seems like a bit much and heat shrink would do the job, but I'm not thinking I will keep this look forever.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
jauslong
Advanced

Would electrical tape work? Seems like you could get a good seal with that, semi-permanent, and easy to disassemble.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Voelser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sp'48'ster
So I installed my DK 2" tank lift along with the coil/ignition relocation kit. Of course I tucked the wires and connectors under the tank to complete the look, but then it hit me. What is to stop the rain from going under the tank and shorting out the wire connectors that were once housed in a somewhat protective plastic shroud? Anyone have an idea for a molded plastic shroud that could go over the backbone and be trimmed to accomidate any tank lift kit? Or does anyone have the ability to manufacture such a thing that could be painted, or offered only in black, with some sort of foam edge guard that could mold over the wires.

I know it seems like a bit much and heat shrink would do the job, but I'm not thinking I will keep this look forever.
I've ordered the same parts, but have not installed them yet. I've started the process though, so when I was pulling out some of the wiring from underneath the tank (speedo and idiot lights) water gushed out of the sleeve holding them. My bike is stored inside and last time it got wet was when I got caught in a rainstorm, but the bike was fine. So I reckon they're made to withstand that...

Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
JonFMJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got caught in the rain just yesterday on my ride home and had no problems. I can't remember if there is anything that seals inside the connector so just pop one open and see if there is and rubber in there. I imagine that a short could happen if enough water were to get in there but my connectors were a little tight to disconnect. I've got a little more room with my 2.5 inch lift.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
JonFMJ
Cruiser

Oh and about covering. If you like you could head down to a true value or other hardware store and pick up some insulation for AC lines for houses. You know the big boxes that make lots of noise outside your house. Fairly cheap at like 4 bucks for 5 feet. Should do the trick.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
alexl
Advanced

Originally Posted by jauslong
Would electrical tape work? Seems like you could get a good seal with that, semi-permanent, and easy to disassemble.
Electrical tape leaves a nasty residue when removed, especially in extreme conditions (heat), leave it for use in what it was designed for - home wiring:to wrap around electrical nuts as an extra layer of protection. For automotive and motorcycle purposes, i always go to heat-shrink

Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Elemental13
Cruiser

if the connectors are weather pack connectors your fine whey have seals on both sides of the connector to keep water from getting in and if your really worried aboutit add some dielectric grease to the connectors it will help with connection issues and keep moisture out

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Sp'48'ster
Advanced

I thought about electrical tape up until the part were I had to remove some and the wires remained sticky with glue residue. I didn't see were the wire connectors are weather proofed, except those that are not under the tank.

Voesler, once installed you will notice that the connectors are located right at the end of the tank. The lift exposes all the connections to the elements that the plastic shroud protected. I cant speak for the water that remained inside your shroud. Just lucky for you I guess that nothing went wrong.

I am going to toy around with the idea of cutting some sheet metal this weekend. I will use the tank lift bolts as the anchor and some black 1/16" tubing as the insulation for the metal parts. I think a can of black gloss paint will do the trick.

Pic to come soon.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

If you can get a piece of Kydex plastic from somewhere (plastic suppliers will have it) you can heat it with a torch or even heat gun and "drape" it to fit the way you want. can then be painted if you wish. It's pretty easy stuff to work with

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Last edited by longrideshields-1; 07-19-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
robosmurf
Cruiser

Why are your worried about reside from tape on the wires under your tank?

Quick Reply: Puzzling problem