Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012 | 07:32 AM
laserman2431
|
Advanced
Default Front brake question

I have a 1975 XLH-1000. The front brakes are not working and I would like to get them going. It came with one caliper (not attached), one hose (also not attached). The master cylinder is there but also needs work.

My question is about what my parts list calls the "tee, front brake hose." It looks like it is set up for one in and two out like on the newer models with duwl front brakes. Mine only has one disc attached on the right side. There are no holes to attach a disc on the left. Should I just cap the outlet for the left hose on the tee?

Also, I don't see where the switch for the brake light goes. Is it part of the lever assembly?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-16-2012 | 07:58 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

I wouldn't cap it. That could be a disaster. Change it out for a single rotor Bake line.

Do you have a service manual for your year and model bike? If not, you'll definitely need one for that bike. It will also answer your brake switch question.

You can get a service manual for your bike here.........

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...-XLCH-1100.htm

Old 07-16-2012 | 10:30 AM
laserman2431
|
Advanced

Thanks for your help?

I do have the service manual and I have read the section on brakes. Maybe I should have provided more information.

I recently got this bike that I would describe as a semi-basket case. The engine has been identified as a 1975 XLH-1000. It has a builders title so I have not been able to identify the frame but, so far, it seems to match up with all documentation for 1974 to 1977.

It has a master cylinder on the handlebar and one caliper in the box-O-parts. It has one brake rotor on the front wheel. Two rubber brake lines are also in the box-O-parts.

The brake line tee looks like a one in and two out. The forks have caliper mounting holes on the left and right sides.

My service manual only mentions a single brake set up for 1974 through 1977. What confuses me is that the frame looks like it's set up for dual cylinders but the wheel only has one.

One thing I just noticed when I did another read through of the service manual is that the manual talks about the caliper being on the left side. Mine is on the right. I also noticed that the front tire is a rotational tire and it is mounted going in the wrong direction.

I'm just trying to piece together the information I have an looking for some help from the experts. I'm starting to suspect that something happened to the front wheel and someone found a replacement. Maybe a previous owner got the wheel with a tire already mounted and tossed it on the front without worrying about hooking up the front brakes. Maybe the PO put the wheel and tire on backwards (would indicate a lack of attention to detail I guess but you know how DPO's can be).

So, my question is "does anyone know if dual front hydraulic brakes was an option during some production years in the 70's?" Or, "does the dual brake set up indicate that the frame is from an era different from the engine?" The caliper I received in the box-O-parts looks the same as the one shown in my parts list from 1974 to 1977.

Are there any detectives out there willing to help with this case?

I did look at the brake light switch part in the service manual. The service manual shows left and right switch units for 1973 and newer. Mine only has one switch on the right side that has the high/low rocker and two push buttons. One of the push buttons is for the starter relay. There is not brake light switch inside the switch cavity. Maybe a PO aosl switched out handlebar controls. Another mystery.

EDIT- After closer inspection I do see the hole in the master cylinder that has threads for the brake switch. Mine is just missing. That should be fairly easy to fix.

Last edited by laserman2431; 07-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2012 | 07:56 PM
laserman2431
|
Advanced

I was looking at my front brake parts today. I have decided to do a single caliper/rotor set up because the front wheel I have only has one rotor. I also only have one caliper. I took my master cylinder apart today and I think it looks pretty good. I'll be splitting the caliper tomorrow.

So, I have some kind of mix and match set up going on here. Sux but that's why it was so cheap, I guess.

I need to go with the single brake set up because that's what my front wheel is. I believe there were some Sportsters made with only one front rotor. If I can find out which model, then I can try to find the correct hose to go direct from the master cylinder to the caliper without going through the tee splitter.

Does anyone know of an Ironhead model/year that had single front hydraulic brake?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2012 | 08:38 PM
laserman2431
|
Advanced

I've found a part in the part catalog that seems to be a 43 inch brake hose. Part number 45521-73. It says it is for '73 to '77 XLH. Seems to be the single disc alternative.

The catalog shows 45121-77 that seems to be for the dual brake system for 1978.

Does that sound right?

Old 07-16-2012 | 08:47 PM
laserman2431
|
Advanced

There is a brake line on Ebay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Line-1...#ht_728wt_1139 . Claims to be a replacement for 45521-73 in braided steel. Cost is $29. The only concern i have is that it look like on end is some kind of banjo connector. Maybe the photo is just an example for use on different models. Does anyone have experience with the Accel model 80010 brake line?